Review by Dolor -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Dolor
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 140
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Review by Dolor -- Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Dolor » 08 Jan 2019, 00:37

[Following is a volunteer review of "Days of the Giants" by RJ Petrella.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella is a fictional tale about the situation at Boston City Hospital, in 1990. The story was narrated from the perspectives of Slater Barnes and his deceased father. The author used a conversational style with distinctive voices, so the readers won't be confused during the shifting of narrators. It was published by Wide Yard, Inc., in 2015.

Slater Barnes was a resident doctor at Boston City Hospital (an independent, fully functioning hospital for 130 years). He kept his aneurysm and his alcoholism secret to all people other than Don Lindsay (his best friend and roommate at the same time). When the news about the merger of Academy and City Hospitals spread, Lindsay organized an illegal strike. Before the said strike, Lindsay was found dead. Was he really beyond roughed up by a bunch of young kids? Could Boston City Hospital retain its autonomy? Why was this book entitled Days of the Giants? Read on and satisfy your curiosity.

The unpredictable storyline with a lot of unexpected twists caught me off-guard. Kudos to the author! He was able to capture the gamut of the medical world. All characters are genuine, likable, and relatable. I admired Slater Barnes the most because of his dedication and kindness towards the poor patients. The conversations were convincing. The author wrote it in an easy-to-understand style but not too simplistic. The pacing was fast, and the ending was wonderfully wrapped-up. I found this quotation worth noting: “Remember that where cowards quit, heroes persevere.” Slater remembered these words from his dad every time he felt like quitting. These made him move on and fight against the trials life had thrown against him. There was nothing I disliked in the contents of this book.

Most of the errors I noticed were fragmented sentences and punctuation errors. "Or the inclination." can be found on page 20. "Selfish or selfless." can be found on page 23. "And the language." can be found on page 24. "But." can be found on page 278. "Of this whole thing." can be found on page 280. An unnecessary comma (,) before the word "because" can be found on page 67. On page 63, there should be a comma (,) before the word "but". A comma was necessary before "and" on page 106. "What can I say." on page 94 should've had a question mark instead of a period. A period (.) was missing after the word "buildings" on page 186.

The presence of a lot of fragmented sentences peppered within the contents made me rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I warn both the young and the squeamish readers from the presence of a few swear words, alcohol, illegal drugs, violence, gross descriptions of the patients' conditions, and the inclusion of matters about religion. I recommend this book to the lovers of fiction books with medical, political, and religious themes.

Days of the Giants
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dolor's review? Post a comment saying so!

Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq » 14 Jan 2019, 02:46

The book sounds intriguing and many mistakes and formatting issues pull me away from this book Thanks for this honest review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Harley-Panda
2019 Reading Goal: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 40
Currently Reading: Kennedy's Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Harley-Panda » 14 Jan 2019, 06:50

It's a shame about the punctuation/grammatical issues as this book seems very interesting! Thanks for an honest review
I go to seek a Great Perhaps

Lunastella
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: The Ordinary Doll
Bookshelf Size: 786
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html
Latest Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Post by Lunastella » Yesterday, 18:12

Slater Barnes was a resident doctor at Boston City Hospital (an independent, fully functioning hospital for 130 years). He kept his aneurysm and his alcoholism secret to all people other than Don Lindsay (his best friend and roommate at the same time). When the news about the merger of Academy and City Hospitals spread, Lindsay organized an illegal strike. Before the said strike, Lindsay was found dead. Was he really beyond roughed up by a bunch of young kids? Could Boston City Hospital retain its autonomy? Why was this book entitled Days of the Giants? Read on and satisfy your curiosity.
Now I need to know the answers! :D Your review is very compelling and I love a book with truly surprising twists and relatable characters.
Thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”