Review by DorcasToo -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Review by DorcasToo -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by DorcasToo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Akira Sato can easily pass as your normal twenty-five year old, young Japanese lady. However, what meets the eye is not always true. She's a geisha, a powerful seductress, charmer and to wrap it all an experienced assassin. Being tired of this life, she eagerly accepts an opportunity to opt out. Her boss, Mitsui, gives her a job, to find his sisters' murderer; who's on a cruise ship to the Caribbean.

In fact, her work she has two suspects, Paul and Sara Lyon, but she's supposed to narrow down to one. Her first strategy is to create an ally, so, when her path crosses with Devon Lyon, the nephew she's ecstatic. This seems like a walk in the park and an easy puzzle. But this isn't a silver platter especially after the body count on the ship starts rising at such an alarming rate. The Merry Mermaid is no longer merry but rather a battle ground as everyone is trying to survive the 10 days aboard the ship.

Twisted Threads by Kaylin Mcfarren is the fourth book in the Threads series but can be read as a standalone. I think the title suggests a lot and truly the plots and subplots in this book knit together into this beautiful masterpiece. Murder, crime, mystery, abuse, friendships, romance, and assassination are some of the themes that one will experience. I had an easy time reading this book, as, I couldn't even put it down due to its catchiness. The suspense in this book is on another level; you couldn't even tell who the villain was to the very end. In fact, severally I was proven wrong, since almost every character was suspicious.

The book has two main characters: Akira and Devon. Despite the fact that Akira comes out as a strong heroine, Devon is the perfect playboy who gets whipped by her charm. The other characters don't come out strongly to overshadow this two. Another aspect I liked is how the author made their relationship so artificial, I expected this since it was just a week long romance. This is evident in their interactions even the sex scenes were just lustful. Generally, it is captivating enough to keep a reader's interest glued.

However, there are several things that I didn't particularly like. One, towards the end the timelines aren't so clear. It's indicated six months later, yet, the story is about the day of departing from the ship. Second, there are several lines of dialogue in Japanese with no translation. Also, I think some aspects weren't fully covered like the story surrounding the watcher. But I guess since there is book five we will know more. The book will need polishing as I found a few errors.

I rate it a 3 out of 4 stars as I feel that issue with timelines shouldn't be there at all. I recommend this book to lovers of Crime/Thriller/ Mystery/Horror genre. The book has an age cap: no children or teens. There is quite a number of steamy sex scenes and though the book has several murders they aren't so ghastly.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DorcasToo's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I really like how you reviewed this book with such a great detail. I just downloaded this book. However, I just realized there are other parts. That, made me little lazy to read it. Great review all the same
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Anthony__ wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 06:54 I really like how you reviewed this book with such a great detail. I just downloaded this book. However, I just realized there are other parts. That, made me little lazy to read it. Great review all the same
Haha thanks for reading my review
shereads shereads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shereads shereads »

Thanks for a great review. Sounds like a book that would be hard to put down, despite the confusing timeline.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”