Review by sarahmarlowe -- The Ultimate Island by Amit Offir

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by sarahmarlowe -- The Ultimate Island by Amit Offir

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Ultimate Island" by Amit Offir.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Malta: The Ultimate Island, by Amit Offir, is an interesting mix of memoir, travelogue, and history lesson.

A friendly guide, the author invites readers to contact him with questions about his visit to Malta. He discusses his arrival, some of his meals, and many of the things he sees and experiences. He also attends and describes the Isle of MTV music festival held every summer since 2007. In his overview, the author includes information about European history, Greek mythology, and their connections to Malta. I found that all very interesting, as well as information about movies filmed there.

I like that Offir gives fresh advice about traveling. For instance, he suggests taking a sketchpad to draw some of the beauty of the places visited. He also recommends getting into a vacation mindset as soon as possible by taking a shower when you arrive, changing clothes, and listening to some of your favorite music.

Unfortunately, I found several weaknesses in this book. One is that a quarter of the book is about the author himself. He relates his history, describes his skills, and explains that his traveling comes from a desire to learn new things. Offir says he has made money on his trips by writing books, having pictures published, and leading coaching sessions in scenic locations. This all could have been done with a few paragraphs instead of several pages.

Something that puzzles me about the book is why the author begins every chapter with a quote from Napoleon. Not only does Offir not explain the importance of these quotes, but they all don't seem to align with the information in the chapters. A couple, like this one, could be applied to vacationing: “Do not wait…the time to act will never be perfect” (Loc 240). But there are more that seemed very out of place, like this one: “You must not fight too often with one enemy, or you will teach him all your art of war” (Loc 342). I found both Napoleon and his quotes to be out of place in a book about a vacation spot.

The author is a published photographer, but he doesn’t use photos to their advantage in this book. He includes beautiful pictures, but they are grouped together on pages placed randomly throughout the book. None of them have captions, and a couple of them are used twice. I don't feel that the author thought through how to use pictures to enhance his writing. In addition to including uncaptioned photos, he describes some lovely places not photographed. One was the fountain in Valletta, lit up with different colors around statues of three gods. Unfortunately, there wasn’t a photo included.

I give Malta: The Ultimate Island 2 out of 4 stars. I considered a 1-star rating, but I am taking into consideration that the numerous punctuation issues might have come during the book’s translation from Hebrew to English. I can’t give 3 stars because I don’t recommend it. The book is more about the author than about Malta. And, the author misses many important things including discussing the price ranges of any part of his trip. The only thing he says about cost is that “prices for charter boats are very reasonable” (Loc 597). Considering the entirety of a vacation, that’s not helpful information.

Readers interested in Malta as a topic may want to pick this one up. People looking for a travel guide will need to keep looking.

The Ultimate Island
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sarahmarlowe's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

A nice, honest review. Anyway, I usually don't like this sort of books and seemingly this one is too bad. Thank you đź‘Ťđź‘Ť
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Sushan wrote: ↑18 Jan 2019, 22:50 A nice, honest review. Anyway, I usually don't like this sort of books and seemingly this one is too bad. Thank you 👍👍
Yes, it is a good history book, but if you are looking for help with travel plans, look somewhere else. Thanks for stopping by!!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Sounds like the author was a little too enamored of the fact that Napoleon "conquered" Malta on his way to Egypt. But maybe because the French only really ruled Malta for like 3 months, the author thinks of Napoleon as the most famous visitor to the island? I would also find that a bit of a stretch, and agree, Napoleon really shouldn't have a place in a book on Malta, unless you're mentioning all the treasures he stole.
sarahmarlowe
Currently Reading:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

esp1975 wrote: ↑17 Jul 2019, 09:54 Sounds like the author was a little too enamored of the fact that Napoleon "conquered" Malta on his way to Egypt. But maybe because the French only really ruled Malta for like 3 months, the author thinks of Napoleon as the most famous visitor to the island? I would also find that a bit of a stretch, and agree, Napoleon really shouldn't have a place in a book on Malta, unless you're mentioning all the treasures he stole.
If he wanted to quote Napoleon, I think he should have better aligned the quotes with content. And, you are right about the cultural thievery!
sarahmarlowe
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

It sounds a light read for those who are planning for a vacation. Nice review! I think I'll try this one soon.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”