Review by Willy 1 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Review by Willy 1 -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Willy 1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried's Smelly Socks!, written and illustrated by Len Foley, is a children's book. To be honest, I have never sat down to read a children’s book. So, for a change, I decided to review Sigfried's Smelly Socks!. It didn’t take me long to read. The story is about Sigfried, who discovers that his book smells really bad, and he attempts to find the source of the smell. In this humor-filled adventure, Sigfried takes us through different stinks you can imagine. We encounter his pile of unwashed socks, a rotten banana, and lots more.

Sigfried's Smelly Socks! is a picture book nothing short of eye-catching, and it's a really fun book to read. Len Foley manages to immediately capture the heart of the reader through the artwork, while also passing an underlying message about cleanliness. As we all know, kids are attracted to more of pictures than words at the early ages of 2-7, and as such, this book is definitely going to effectively entertain them from the first page to the last.

Also, apart from the humor and beauty in the book, the detailed grossness of the book is quite disgusting. But I know most kids won’t mind, and they would rather find it fascinating and hilarious. The book is also filled with words written in form of rhymes, which give the reader an option to even sing along and makes reading the book more fun.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, except in some parts where the author had written the words ‘blue socks’ in pink color. Kids tend to grasp this kind of things quickly, so I take it as an editing error. Apart from that, the book is a good read.

In general, Sigfried's Smelly Socks! is a good book, and I would recommend it to kids between the ages of 3-7, but definitely not to people easily grossed out. I think that this book will provide a healthy dose of fun to kids. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The minor error didn't detract from my enjoyment of the book.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Willy 1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Hmmm...disgustingly gross. I would probably have to give this a look over myself before reading it to my grandkids, but you're right that as a rule children (especially little boys) would find it hilarious rather than off-putting. You've done a great job of describing a book written mostly in pictures. Well done review!!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

I read the book and my thoughts about it definitely resonate with yours. First time reading a kiddies book too.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

The use of rhyming words and the colours on the socks are my favorite part of this book. It'll be very helpful and interesting for children aged 2-7. Nice review.
Willy 1
Currently Reading:

Post by Willy 1 »

Kelyn wrote: 07 Jan 2019, 12:34 Hmmm...disgustingly gross. I would probably have to give this a look over myself before reading it to my grandkids, but you're right that as a rule children (especially little boys) would find it hilarious rather than off-putting. You've done a great job of describing a book written mostly in pictures. Well done review!!
Haha, can be pretty gross for adults but kids won't really see it the way we'd see it. The colorful pictures will be a thrill to them. Thanks for taking the time to comment. :)
Willy 1
Currently Reading:

Post by Willy 1 »

Darlynn_Tebogo wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 02:49 I read the book and my thoughts about it definitely resonate with yours. First time reading a kiddies book too.
Thank you. :)
Willy 1
Currently Reading:

Post by Willy 1 »

prospero360 wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 03:43 The use of rhyming words and the colours on the socks are my favorite part of this book. It'll be very helpful and interesting for children aged 2-7. Nice review.
Thanks for stopping by. :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”