Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- The Leading Man

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: The Leading Man by Stephen J. Blakesley

Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- The Leading Man

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes » 06 Jan 2019, 02:44

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Leading Man" by Stephen J. Blakesley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Leading Man by Stephen J. Blakesley is a self-help book designed to augment whatever knowledge one might already have about leadership. The leader, as the singer, Willie Nelson, pointed out was: Someone who walks fast and gets out in front of a group of people. He should have added, someone who runs fast, as well, in case the group of people is running. But it turns out; to lead takes more than that. It is more than just being ahead of a moving band.

It goes without saying that a leader has to have a follower or followers. Further, a leader must possess a presence that commands attention. There must be a vision about the desired destination that is clearly communicated to the followers in order to motivate and influence them to go along and accomplish the goal that will be credited to them. All these will be done by a leader possessive of the right leadership skills and emotional intelligence.

Stephen J. Blakesley synthesized in this book the attributes speculated to bring success to a leader’s endeavors. Or, on the least, kindle the dormant spark of leadership inherent in individuals who have the potential to lead. And whether true leaders are born or made, it would profit them immensely to give their talents some nurturing.

The book tells of a study about pitch and one’s ability to earn big money by simply lowering the pitch of one’s speech. I am just concerned that for a leader to hold the attention of an audience and communicate effectively, he must speak in a lively manner full of life and not sound boring or sonorous. And that is irrespective of the contents of his speech.

I dislike the shortness of the book. While it is true that conciseness is a virtue, however, clarity should not be sacrificed. Pardon my bringing this out, the book is akin to an instructional manual. The author should have spiced it up with related anecdotes or incidents in real life to illustrate the particular point elucidated upon in a chapter.

I have not come across an editing issue. Maybe, I’m not that adroit in finding one, for the prose proceeded smoothly to my delight. I will recommend this book to young adults, those we might consider as still on the developmental stage. This non-fictional read could be an extension to leadership training they might have been given in school or at work. The rating I give is 4 out of 4 stars.

The Leading Man
View: on Bookshelves

Like ReyvrexQuestor Reyes's review? Post a comment saying so!
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"

Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo » 14 Jan 2019, 10:51

Hi again!
I'm not really into self-help books but I am always open to the event that I may be interested in the topic of one. I quite like the idea that to be a leader you don't have to be running ahead of others, but may just find yourself there naturally.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”