Review by Dentarthurdent -- Rowan Wood Legends

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Dentarthurdent -- Rowan Wood Legends

Post by Dentarthurdent »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rowan Wood Legends" by Olivia Wildenstein.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rowan Wood Legends by Olivia Wildenstein

The second in a series of five, Olivia Wildenstein’s book is a gripping fantasy tale in which our main character narrates the events of her life after being dragged into the war between two mystical races, both of which she is part.

After the shattering losses encountered by our protagonist in the preceding book, Rowan Wood Legends shows us how she grapples with new knowledge, new characters, as well as new sides to individuals she thought she already knew.

Caught between the rivals; faeries and hunters; Catori is adamant in her decision to remain neutral, despite pressure applied to her from all directions, both fantastical and otherwise. She is strong in her resolve to stay human and through this book, we see the difficulty she endures in the effort to shield her loved ones from her chaotic world, and in her refusal to put herself in the mercy of either of the feuding groups.

Catori finds herself tangled up with Kajika; a hunter incorrigible in his hatred toward the faeries, who have cost him all that he loved, including his mate; and Ace; faerie royalty who always swoops in to rescue Catori when necessary, yet his motives for doing so are unknown. Catori finds herself growing attached to these distinctly different men while still being frustrated by their bold assertions to shun her if she chooses a side not theirs.

As the Hunters seek vengeance for a betrayal that cost them their entire clan, their actions to increase their numbers are met with violence by the faeries. The war between the two parties is a vicious cycle as neither party is willing to turn the other cheek so as to pave way for lasting peace.

This second book in The Lost Clan Series is rife with drama, fantasy, family and friendship, not to mention a dash of romance. Because of this, I think it is perfect teenage and young adult readers with an appreciation for tales like The Vampire Diaries.

On the other hand, this book may not thrill mythology or anthropology enthusiasts; or any pedantic readers; as it is only loosely based on Fey mythology and Native American culture.

I would rate this book 2 out of 4. I loved the glossaries provided at the beginning of the book as they made it easy to follow the story without reading the first book; Rose Petal Graves; prior. Inasmuch as I enjoyed the descriptive style of writing (featuring regular use of similes), the characters and setting of the story, I also have to admit that there is nothing unique about it. There are tons of young adult fiction following this very vein. Like very many other books, Rowan Wood Legends generally entails a teenage girl thrust into an unfamiliar magical world in which she is superlatively powerful, of a rare kind and crucial for the salvation of the day. This main character also invariably attracts the affections of two or more infinitely worthy suitors, to her great surprise as she is always apparently oblivious of her own charms.

According to me, another failing of this novel is the author’s tendency to vilify the rejected suitors so as to validate the protagonist’s choice lover. The implication that the protagonist has to be beautiful, intelligent and inexplicably unique in her powers for her to be special is another issue here that resonates with the aforementioned abundant similar books.

All in all, Rowan Wood Legends is a highly entertaining read, the book difficult to put down and the tale enjoyable to very many readers.

Rowan Wood Legends
View: on Bookshelves

Like Dentarthurdent's review? Post a comment saying so!
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I recently read and reviewed this book and absolutely loved it. Certainly there are some anoying things. Catori was a bit anoying character for me. Ace was my fav.
Thanks a lot for the review
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Hey.
You are most certainly welcome. And I agree, Ace was pretty great.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Oh dear. A female with "superlative" powers...definitely too Mary-Sue-ish to me. I like how you called out the tendency to "vilify the rejected suitors." I find that a lot in TV series and movies, and it just seems like lazy storytelling. Thanks for your thoughts on this book! I read YA more than any other genre, but I don't think this book is for me.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

inaramid wrote: 08 Mar 2019, 00:33 I find that a lot in TV series and movies, and it just seems like lazy storytelling.
I couldn't agree more. Thanks for reading my review, and I am glad to have assisted your decision on whether or not to try this book out.
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

Many YA fantasy books seem to resolve around a few general plotlines, but this one seems well done enough that I might read it! Thanks for your review :)
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Oh no, the protagonist seems to have Mary Sue tendencies! That's a big problem with YA and fantasy, I think. IMO books are supposed to show multiple aspects of the human condition and be somewhat relatable to different types of people. To write a book that is essentially a fantasy on EVERY level robs it off the power it could've had to become something powerful. Moreover, it seems like a clichéd premise, and for some reason I get demoralised with stories that have fantasy names that seem like they're trying too hard to be fantasy names (like Catori and Kajika). Thanks for this review, it was wonderfully elaborated! Have a great day!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Firefawkes wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 18:06 Many YA fantasy books seem to resolve around a few general plotlines, but this one seems well done enough that I might read it! Thanks for your review :)
Thank you very much for your comment. Have a great day.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

nooregano wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 21:22 Oh no, the protagonist seems to have Mary Sue tendencies! That's a big problem with YA and fantasy, I think. IMO books are supposed to show multiple aspects of the human condition and be somewhat relatable to different types of people. To write a book that is essentially a fantasy on EVERY level robs it off the power it could've had to become something powerful. Moreover, it seems like a clichéd premise, and for some reason I get demoralised with stories that have fantasy names that seem like they're trying too hard to be fantasy names (like Catori and Kajika). Thanks for this review, it was wonderfully elaborated! Have a great day!
You have hit the nail on the head. I wish there were more fantasy books that were concerned with the stories and worth of all its characters, not just some (or in this case, one). Thanks so much for sharing your opinion, and enjoy your day as well!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

I am also tired of picking up YA novels and having all the same themes as every other YA action story.
Spencer Mack
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

You are so right about the perfect protagonist. It actually makes the story so much more interesting if the protagonist has a little something wayward about him/her.
This was an interesting review, thanks!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I read and reviewed this book as well and just loved it. I actually went back and read the first book before reading this one and continued on to read the whole series!! I agree that the theme has been done many times before, but it is what girls of that age like to read and there's nothing wrong with that. I found Catori delightfully rebellious and was rooting for Ace from the beginning! Thanks for the review. It's interesting to see what others thought about the book.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

spencermack wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 09:16 I am also tired of picking up YA novels and having all the same themes as every other YA action story.
I know, right? It's a shame the good ones are so rare. Thanks for your comment!

Bianka Walter wrote: 11 Mar 2019, 12:12 You are so right about the perfect protagonist. It actually makes the story so much more interesting if the protagonist has a little something wayward about him/her.
This was an interesting review, thanks!
It's so much easier to relate with flawed characters. Thanks for stopping by.

Kelyn wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 21:18 I read and reviewed this book as well and just loved it. I actually went back and read the first book before reading this one and continued on to read the whole series!! I agree that the theme has been done many times before, but it is what girls of that age like to read and there's nothing wrong with that. I found Catori delightfully rebellious and was rooting for Ace from the beginning! Thanks for the review. It's interesting to see what others thought about the book.
To each, his own, I suppose. Thanks so much for your comment. Enjoy your day.
Hayley2-0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hayley2-0.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hayley2-0 »

I like stories like this where the main character starts out young and unwilling to accept their reality but then they grow to a different person as the story progresses.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Hayley2-0 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 08:11 I like stories like this where the main character starts out young and unwilling to accept their reality but then they grow to a different person as the story progresses.
Thanks so much for your comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”