Review by daydreaming reader -- Sigfried’s Smelly ...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
daydreaming reader
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by daydreaming reader -- Sigfried’s Smelly ...

Post by daydreaming reader » 05 Jan 2019, 14:09

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks with words and pictures by Len Foley is a colorful little book. It consists of 27 pages, at least in the PDF version I received. New Horizon Health Incorporated published this fantastic little book. Its theme revolves around a child’s well-used book and smelly socks. Many different people have discolored and sullied the book through various activities. Yet, the socks are just as smelly! This leads to a conundrum, which one smells worse. The book or the socks?

The artwork used in the book was engaging. According to the information presented in the book, Mr. Foley completed the artwork on an iPad Pro. It is easy for young children to identify the type of stains depicted in the book. Thus, it is entertaining and engrossing for young children. This can make reading fun for those who are not excited by reading on a normal basis.

Furthermore, the accompanying words are simple and related to the pictures. For those who are learning to read, it would be easy to sound out the words to pronounce them. Moreover, the pictures will help give them an idea.

Despite that, I am concerned about the use of the work ‘Kraut’. A quick Google search indicates that since 1918 onward, it is a derogatory term for Germans. Before 1918, it was an alternative word for sauerkraut. Sauerkraut is fermented cabbage, and typically smells. It is a traditional Central and Eastern European dish. I understand that the author used the word in relation to the sauerkraut dish, given the theme of the book. Yet, I would suggest that a responsible adult is present when a child reads the book. This way, the adult can address questions and explain the meaning in this context.

I also found that there was a slight interruption in the flow at one point. This occurs when there is a switch in focus, from the socks to the book, on pages 16 to 17. This did not affect my reading experience. Children or those who are learning to read may have some difficulty understanding. Still, as with all learning experiences, this may prove to be beneficial to them. Furthermore, I found no identifiable grammatical error.

I recommend this book to young children or those who are learning to read. Sigfried’s Smelly Socks is an entertaining read. The colorful and well-done pictures would engage those of all ages.

Altogether, I rate Sigfried’s Smelly Socks by Len Foley 4 out of 4 stars. The book is simple and suited for those learning to read. The drawings are attractive and the theme promises to entertain young children. Regardless of my concerns, children or those learning to read can benefit a lot from this book. My solution is to have a responsible person there to address any issues that may arise.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like daydreaming reader's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 29
Currently Reading: The Last Necromancer
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn » 24 Jan 2019, 02:20

A book about choosing between a smelly book and smelly socks? Sounds like one that little boys would find hilarious (as well as some little girls I suppose). I may have to have a look at this one to see if my grandson might like it. Thanks for the review!
Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story...Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. (E. Cline - Ready Player One)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”