Review by Choine -- Rowan Wood Legends

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Review by Choine -- Rowan Wood Legends

Post by Choine »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Rowan Wood Legends" by Olivia Wildenstein.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In Rowan Wood Legends by Olivia Wildenstein, Cat has just learned of Holly’s death. What puzzles her is the cause of death. As Cat struggles to find the cause of her friend’s death, she faces difficult decisions in her journey. Soon, she must choose which side she wants to be on: human or faerie.

This is the first book from this series I have read. Even with the cheat sheet provided by the author in the front of the book, I had difficulty following the background of the book and concepts discussed by the characters. The only things that were clear were Cat being half faerie, Holly dying, and rivalries between characters. It is my opinion that a detailed synopsis of the previous book would prevent confusion for future readers.

It is easy to see that the author has put countless hours into writing this series. I enjoyed how the author begins the first chapter by introducing so many characters that are so diverse. Even for a first-time reader, it presents a sense of equal representation for what is to happen later in the book.

I feel that the absence of the synopsis for the previous book in this series created many problems in this book. Cat was hard to relate to. When reacting to Holly’s death and the news of her illness, I thought that her reactions were forged; they seemed artificial.

The overall story line was well written. A clear goal began to form in the first few pages as Cat discussed her abilities and relationships with different characters. The author did a good job in not straying from this initial plot even when side plots and details came into place.

As a reader, I prefer to read a book that is placed in third person. When a book is written in first person, it is easy for the reader to forget who they are and the growth of that character. Every time the character’s name is mentioned, the reader is reminded of what that character has gone through.

When describing characters and scenery, the author did well to include enough detail that the reader could see what the author saw. As an author, it is important to create this world for the reader and communicate it exactly as the author sees it.

I give this book 2 out of 4 stars. The way that the book was written (absence of synopsis and point of view) was distracting and took away from some of the creativity in the book. In addition, the amount of errors I found in the book caused me to reread certain sections with my notes and made reading tedious. This is a good book in terms of creativity, detail, and story line. I feel that after a few corrections, Rowan Wood Legends will prove to be an amazing page-turner the fantasy reader.

Rowan Wood Legends
View: on Bookshelves

Like Choine's review? Post a comment saying so!
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I recently read and reviewed this book and loved it. Ace was my fav character. Catori was bit anoying but still i loved this fairytale.
Thanks a lot for the review Choine☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I read this book for review as well and I completely agree with you that reading the first book before this one is definitely a must. A synopsis of the first book in the series would, indeed, be of help to reader's who are reading this one to start the series. Great point and great review! Thanks!
Books are my self-medication. 8)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”