Review by daydreaming reader -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
daydreaming reader
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by daydreaming reader -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by daydreaming reader » 02 Jan 2019, 17:25

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway is book one of the Superhighway trilogy by Alex Fayman. It was first published by Fayman in August 2015. It consists of 255 pages and comprises of 46 chapters.

Classified as science fiction, this book breathes life into a new era of Robin Hood type heroes.

Superhighway tells the story of a young boy with unknown origins. A homeless man found him, wrapped in a blanket, abandoned on the side of the road. The man drops the child off by a nearby orphanage. There, the Administrator, Mrs. Jenkins, chooses the name Alex Fine for the child. Since then, Alex has endured two failed attempts at adoption. After each attempt, he suffered emotionally as he re-adjusted to life at the orphanage. After the second failed adoption, he decides to stay at the orphanage, where he helps tutor the other kids. Due to his academic prowess, Stanford University awards Alex a scholarship. One night, before embarking on the new stage of his life, Alex realizes a power he never knew he possessed. A power that changes everything for him.

The story unfolds from Alex’s point of view. Generally, I thought that the plot of the book was interesting. The theme of instantaneous travel reminds me a bit of the movie Jumper (2008). Yet, Superhighway has the added twist of technology. Another twist is the Robin Hood type hero that Alex becomes. This combination of themes piqued my interest and had me interested in the other books in the series.

At first, I did not understand that author’s choice of title and cover, in relation to the plot. As I read the description of Alex's journey, it became clear to me.

At first, I found it difficult to relate to Alex. I felt as though the dialogues and monologues were a bit stiff and lacked emotion. This would be a typical turnoff for me. However, it may have been necessary for this character. Alex is highly intelligent and does not socialize much. Thus, I theorize that the stiff interactions may have been a product of his lack of socialization. Furthermore, his interaction with technology may influence his behavior. Thus, while I struggled with this at first, it may have been a necessary characteristic of Alex.

Moreover, as the story develops his interactions changes. Alex acknowledges some of the changes in his interactions. This, therefore, leads to some interesting character development.

Despite this, I struggled with other elements of this book. For instance, language barriers. In one scene, Alex is in Amsterdam, but in no way is the language barrier presented, nor was he presented as being multilingual. Similarly, he appears in Switzerland. Once again, the author did not show consideration of the language barrier. There are several other such elements. This led to a lack of realism to the plot. I felt that this also showed a lack of research.

At times I found the pace a bit slow. I detected one grammatical issue, which did not distract me from the reading experience.

I first thought this book was aimed towards young adults, but there is a sex scene. It is not explicit. There is also some violence in the passages. As such, I would recommend this book to those who are 16/17 years old and above. In particular, they should be science fiction fans.

Altogether, I award Superhighway by Alex Fayman, 2 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the plot but struggled with certain elements of the book. I also felt that some more research was necessary to ensure an engaging plot.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like daydreaming reader's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
― Friedrich Nietzsche

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 296
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Time Shot by R.K. Johnson

Post by teacherjh » 03 Jan 2019, 23:26

I read this one too. I did not like the main character. He was so self-indulgent.

daydreaming reader
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 91
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by daydreaming reader » 09 Jan 2019, 20:33

teacherjh wrote: ↑
03 Jan 2019, 23:26
I read this one too. I did not like the main character. He was so self-indulgent.
I won't say I liked Alex, but since this is the first of a series, I think there is potential for further development. I just hope that the author grasped the opportunity in the other books.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
― Friedrich Nietzsche

Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 600
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Laura Bach » 10 Jan 2019, 01:46

I liked that you pointed out the language barriers. It felt really unrealistic to me to read how everyone in Amsterdam simply spoke english. I also don't like Alex at all, he is an insufferable main character.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”