Review by melissah30 -- Hello, My Love by Evy Journey

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissah30
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissah30.html
Latest Review: Hello, My Love by Evy Journey
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by melissah30 -- Hello, My Love by Evy Journey

Post by melissah30 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Elise Halverson, a law student whose career is a priority, has never seen the need for having a serious relationship. It would merely get in the way of her plans. This starts to change as her father, a professional consultant, starts inviting his newest client to their family dinners. Greg Thorpe is the local playboy who has recently inherited his father's company. Elise sees him as a shallow womanizer and wants nothing to do with him. One night he comments on a book she is reading, and she begins to warm up to him, finding that he is deeper than she originally thought.

Over the next year of family dinners, Elise and Greg become very good friends. They argue and debate over everything, both being very hard-headed and strong witted. Having found someone that Elise would consider an intellectual equal, she begins to fall for him. The only problem? He’s engaged.

Both Greg and Elise know their friendship will be forever changed after his wedding. Scared of the prospect of losing his good friend, Greg invites Elise over to his house and confesses his love to her – just a few days before he is meant to marry his longtime fiancée, Lori Williamson. He calls off the wedding, but Lori swears she will make him pay for this.

Hello, My Love by Evy Journey is a love story inspired by Pride and Prejudice has several elements that will keep you on your toes – love, longing, heartache and a bit of a mystery. I loved the way the first several chapters set up the relationship and affair between Greg and Elise by switching between flashbacks and the current day. I also enjoyed that the story kept switching between Greg and Elise’s point of view. It was nice to see how they each reacted to the same event. There were a couple of steamy scenes, but they were tasteful and not too explicit, as the author chose to put more emphasis on their romance than their time in the bedroom. They had a very sweet and nurturing relationship and they did not have any of the overbearing toxic relationship traits that you so often see in the romance genre.

Sadly, some parts of the book did not keep me as enthralled as I would like. The mystery subplot of the book didn’t have enough suspense to keep me interested. The pacing was strange, and I didn’t feel like the buildup was enough to make me feel one way or another about the outcome. This was easy to overlook considering it was only a small portion of the book.

I would give Hello, My Love a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. The book seemed to be professionally edited, and there were no mistakes that stood out to me. It was definitely a good book, but due to the mystery subplot, I wouldn’t call it a fantastic book. I would recommend this to those who enjoy romance stories.

Hello, My Love
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like melissah30's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Go then, there are other worlds than these." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am not a big fan of romance. But I enjoyed your review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

I enjoyed how you bring out the details in your review! Despite how popularly liked it is, I don't really like Pride and Prejudice and I tend to steer away from the romance genre in general so this one may not be for me!
"Growth is the essence of life."

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”