Review by Onyinye Excel -- White Jaguar by Preben Orman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Review by Onyinye Excel -- White Jaguar by Preben Orman

Post by Onyinye Excel » 01 Jan 2019, 06:57

[Following is a volunteer review of "White Jaguar" by Preben Orman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Jaguar is a wild cat species specifically known as a stalk-and-ambush predator. This characteristic of the Jaguar relates very well to the attitude of a few of the characters in this story.

Preben ømen’s book - White Jaguar, is a detective thriller about the investigations of two Federal Policemen (Inspector Marco Nayal and Chuy) on the recently discovered dead body of Eduardo Garcia. Eduardo is the founder of a scientific laboratory called NANDEC. His lab has invented a biological device that will improve farming practices in any country. The invention is yet to be publicly revealed. Some foreign investors want him to make some changes to the prototype before closing the deal. Eduardo is not interested in turning the invention into a weapon against humans. Series of conspiracies and betrayals unfold that leaves lots of dead bodies in its trail. With insufficient evidence and lots of unanswered questions, Inspector Nayal, Chuy, and his team would have to catch the culprits before more dead bodies turn up.

I found the book to be more descriptive than narrative. The story seemed to have been written with the intent of creating vivid pictures of the action scenes in the reader’s imagination. This makes me want to recommend that the book be turned into a movie. The plot was average and had several interplay of events. The character development was gradual but effective. The author’s choice of words was also simple enough. These all contributed to making the story an easy read.

Having said that, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a 4 because it had several Spanish words that were not translated. For example, “Buenos Dias.” This kept the reader in the dark sometimes. I also took out another star because it had more than 10 grammatical errors. For example, “We are have started looking into the business connection.” (Page 108). I gave it a 2 because it was an average read and had a very entertaining ending.

What I enjoyed most about the story was Leo’s sense of humor. Each time I read his discussions with Marco, it made me smile. My reason is that his unique personality encouraged me to continue reading the book.

I didn’t like the numerous grammatical errors I encountered in the course of reading this story. I found more than 10 of them. This was what I liked the least in the story. My reason is that it interrupted my reading. I had to read some sentences twice or thrice to understand what was being said.

I would recommend this book to lovers of detective and investigation thrillers. This is because there are lots of investigations in this story. Also, I would recommend this book to lovers of science inventions. My reason is that they will be interested in NANDEC’s invention. On the other hand, people who do not like detective stories would not like to read this book. People who have no serious interest in inventions may not want to read this book.

White Jaguar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Onyinye Excel's review? Post a comment saying so!

Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sweet Psamy » 11 Jan 2019, 06:50

I'm Interested in finding out more about this book. Thanks for the wonderful review.

Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Onyinye Excel » 13 Jan 2019, 07:33

Sweet Psamy wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 06:50
I'm Interested in finding out more about this book. Thanks for the wonderful review.
You would enjoy it, especially if you love detective stories. It also had little grammatical issues that can be overlooked.

Vscholz
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2018 Reading Goal: 65
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 55
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 812
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Bobby Ether and the Jade Academy by R. Scott Boyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz » 13 Jan 2019, 21:26

When it comes to overly descriptive writing, I get bored--I would rather see the visuals than create them myself, or I would rather have a bit less description so I can make it my own. I think I will skip this one (for now). Thanks for the review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)

T_stone
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 35
Currently Reading: Bluewater Walkabout
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone » 14 Jan 2019, 18:26

I think the author has done a great job in descriptions but the errors may seem very distracting. I might check this out later. Thanks for the review!
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Sushan
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 40
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: The Emperor's Edge
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Sushan » 23 Jan 2019, 22:43

Its good that you mentioned about Spanish wording, since I know nothing in Spanish. Thanks for sharing 👍👍
"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help"

Abraham Lincoln

:techie-studyingbrown: $u$han €kanayak€ :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”