Review by Quartz -- Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quartz
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quartz.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Review by Quartz -- Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Quartz » 01 Jan 2019, 00:08

[Following is a volunteer review of "Purgatory's Angel" by B Hughes-Millman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Purgatory’s Angel by B. Hughes-Millman follows an angel named Jaime who fights demons in humans’ dreams to protect them. While fighting a demon, she encounters a handsome man with bright green eyes. The next day she encounters the same man and learns he goes along the name Collin, who seems like he’s stalking her. But is he a demon trying to kill her? At the same time, Jaime seeks help from a doctor named Rick who helps heal her wounds. Rick also has a secret to hide from the adoring Jaime. Can Jaime fight demons as well as watch her back for those who are closest to her?

This was a very slow read at first. Not a lot happens in the first half of the book. Sure, there’s a lot of action when Jaime fights off demons, but the plot doesn’t speed up until the second half. I understand that the author was trying to create this build up of curiosity for the reader, but she did it in a boring way. She also took forever to explain things that are vital to the plot. For instance, before being on earth, Jaime fought along with the archangel Michael, or that she chose to come to earth to help the humans.

The book did have a lot going for it though. Once I got to the second half, the story became more interesting. The tention between Collin and Rick was entertaining. Each boy seemed both good and evil, so I was constantly wondering if one of them would do Jaime wrong. The details are also very vivid. Hughes-Millman knows how to create a scene with the word choices. I was able to clearly picture the scene and actions presented in the novel.

The idea for this book sounded so fun and interesting, which is why I chose it. Who doesn't like a strong female character, especially an angel who fought alongside an archangel? It's just and interesting concept that is presented in a less interesting way. I would give this novel a 2 out of 4 stars. In this case, the cons outweighed the pros. It was a very well written piece of work, but I almost quit reading half way through. If it weren't for the second part, I probably would have stopped reading.

I do not think I will read the next book in the series, only because I liked how it ended. I thought that this was a standalone, until I reached the end and saw the second book being advertised. There is a lot more romance than I would have liked, but it turns out that the romance was somewhat needed for the storyline. I would recommend this book to those who like suspense, romance, and thrillers at the same time. If you like just one of those categories, then you may not like this book.

Purgatory's Angel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Quartz's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”