Review by mtsnel006 -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
mtsnel006
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by mtsnel006 -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by mtsnel006 » 29 Dec 2018, 19:49

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At the beginning of this book, Akira Otama is faced with a challenge larger than life. She must choose between putting her life in danger by killing a couple believed to have murdered her master’s sister, Keiko, or to lose her own life.

Twisted Threads is the fourth book of the Thread Series authored by the creative Kaylin McFarren. Akira tried to murder his master, Mitsui-san, but after she was unsuccessful, she was given a chance to live if she carried out a deadly task. She was tasked to cruise in a ship that boarded Keiko's prime murder suspects, Paul and Sarah, and to kill them. Mitsui-san arranged for Takashi Tamada, one of his men, to accompany Akira and act as her father so that they will not be easily suspected of being involved in the targets' killing after the mission was accomplished.

Akira finds herself head over heels in love with Devon, Paul’s nephew. Although she initially thought that she would use him to get closer to his uncle and aunt, so she could spy on them, she did not choose to end up falling for him. With only ten days given her to complete the mission, does the killing eventually gets done and dusted? And if yes, by who?

I loved reading this book and I was constantly at the edge of my seat while witnessing the protagonist, Akira, in action as an assassin. The author spent a great time forming Akira and Devon’s relationship - not to mention the number of unnecessary conversations the two had. However, I found the storyline to be amusing and distinct. The plot engages the reader by including a wide range of believable characters and well-elaborated scenes. With the ending being unpredictable, it left several questions unanswered. Although I have not read the previous books of this sequel, I did not feel that doing so was necessary since I could still understand the plot of the story very well.

I have noticed editorial errors in this book, however, they were very few and did not disturb the flow of the book, nor made it hard for the reader to comprehend what was happening. What I disliked the most about the book was the confusion it gave me in some cases where direct speeches were used, as the author would not specify which character was talking. I found this to be time-consuming as I would try and make sense of who said what.

Because of the editorial errors mentioned above, I am giving the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I loved the authors writing style and her advanced English vocabulary. I recommend this book to readers who want to indulge themselves in a long read of romance filled with suspense, action, erotica, and mystery. There are several scenes of explicit sexual acts, so I would not recommend this book to readers under the age of 18 years old.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mtsnel006's review? Post a comment saying so!
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”