Review by JordanKSmith -- First Family by Alice Langholt

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JordanKSmith
2018 Reading Goal: 15
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 60
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by JordanKSmith -- First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by JordanKSmith » 27 Dec 2018, 12:51

[Following is a volunteer review of "First Family" by Alice Langholt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

First Family is written by Alice Langholt. It is a creative retelling of humanity’s origin story through the lens of the Abrahamic doctrines. The Genesis creation story doesn’t contain a detailed record of everything that happened to the first humans. First Family fills in these gaps and takes the necessary liberties to create one possible account of what may have occurred. It depicts how it may have felt to experience these events from each of the characters' perspectives.

Initially, the characters did not feel completely fleshed out. They were distinct, but they felt simplified. There is a slight possibility that this was intentional. Adam and Eve were essentially newborns, so they didn’t have personal histories that would give them a lot of depth. If that was the case, I would have appreciated more clarity on that point. Whether that was the motivation or not, the characters felt thin at the beginning of the book. Thankfully, they became fully fleshed characters as the book progressed. Their motivations grew in complexity, but they still managed to remain clear. I believe that the author’s view of the characters developed, and that translated into the writing. By the end, each member of that family felt like a real person.

One of the marks of a good author is to take the villain of a story and show their humanity. In First Family, Cain wasn’t presented as heartless and filled with malice. He had his issues, and all of his pain was relatable. I never despised him.

On a similar note, Adam and Abel were not put on pedestals. They were unquestionably faithful to their god. There can be great positives about this trait, but there are also potential negatives. The story doesn’t glorify one or the other. It presents the characteristics to the reader, and it allows the reader to react to them. Life is complicated. We can make the wrong decision regardless of the purity of our intentions.

On the negative side, I feel that the book could have used a stronger focus on happy moments. Emotions are a relative experience. Experiencing the highs with the characters would have given the losses a more significant impact. Eden was a paradise, and there would have been a lot to miss. The book skimmed over this part of Adam and Eve’s life, and I felt that was to its detriment.

Overall, this book breathes new life into a story that has been told for eons. That is not easy to do. Anyone that subscribes to an Abrahamic religion should give this a read. Also, people exploring faiths should look at this as well. It’s worth your time.

This book was great! The writer pulled me from the default perspective of someone looking at a past event and placed me beside the characters. The characters took a little while to become fully formed. By the end, they each felt unique, human, and full of motivation. I enjoyed the writing. A bit more description would have been preferred, but the internal dialogue told all the necessary information. Aside from all of that, I think the story would have benefited from an in-depth description of the happy moments. In the end, I loved this story. I am giving it a rating of 3 out of 4 stars.

First Family
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JordanKSmith's review? Post a comment saying so!
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)

bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
2017 Reading Goal: 52
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 360
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: My Mama Says Inside Me Lives A Village by Nadine Levitt

Post by bookowlie » 28 Dec 2018, 22:18

What an interesting review! This seems like a trend in books - a retelling of the story of Adam and Eve. It's nice to see one that is worth reading.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 118
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Winter in Full Bloom
Bookshelf Size: 301
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Last Man at the Inn by R. William Bennett

Post by kdstrack » 28 Dec 2018, 22:43

Thanks for a great review! Your description of the characters is fabulous. This is a book I would like to read. Your review has motivated me to bump it up on my list!

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 100
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Who Hears Me When I Cry by Terrance Turner

Post by teacherjh » 28 Dec 2018, 23:02

I like fiction stories based on the Bible that show depth of insight. This one sounds interesting. Great review.

FictionLover
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 90
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover » 29 Dec 2018, 21:37

I thought about reading this one, also. Maybe for my next read.

:techie-studyingbrown:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 65
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: The Ignorance of Bliss: An American Kid in Saigon by Sandy Hanna

Post by Prisallen » 11 Apr 2019, 13:59

I liked your review, especially about how the characters were developed and that Cain wasn't presented as heartless. This sounds like a very interesting book to read. Great review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”