Review by KitabuKizuri -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
KitabuKizuri
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 245
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Review by KitabuKizuri -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by KitabuKizuri » 24 Dec 2018, 03:34

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven's Peak is the first part of a story written by Lincoln Cole christened World on Fire. The cover design is by M. N. Arzu.

The Reverend was called out of the enclosure that kept him quarantined to help search for a team sent to the mountains to chase 'something powerful’, but didn't report back. Frieda, his childhood friend and wife, knew that he was the Council of Chaldea's only chance of retrieving the team, or at least finding out what happened. He manages to rescue some kidnapped children along with Abigail, his trainee, who happened to be the backup for the sent team. Although the council managed to get the rescued young ones, The Reverend had disappeared.

A few months later, Abigail was in the same area with a man called Haatim. Thanks to her he was still alive because she rescued him from those who hired him to trail her. She allowed him to tag along against her better judgement. The area, Raven's Peak, becomes their next battleground against a powerful source of evil in a war that they won't forget in a long time to come.

The story of Raven's Peak explores the possibility of humanity being in the middle of a constant tug of war between the underworld and the world's guardians for control. I like the author's ability to introduce his characters and immerse the reader into their unique personalities as influenced by their experiences. Haatim is a good example. The reader can follow him as he comes from a mundane existence to that of one who has taken the 'red pill’, discovering more about the world, and himself, in a short time. Abigail is introduced as a vulnerable person who the council thinks is damaged goods, but the reader knows better. There wasn't much I found not to like about the book.

I recommend the book to those who enjoy action thrillers mixed in with paranormal/horror themes. The book didn't leave me with any ‘after-spooks’, so I'm guessing readers won't be too affected by the scary parts of the story. I wouldn't recommend it to those who consider books dabbling with the underworld as inappropriate. The book somewhat reminds me of The Engine Woman's Light by Lauren Anne Hill. This is due to similar themes involving interaction between the spiritual and the physical.

I only noticed one grammatical error while reading the book. The book is entertaining and leaves one under enough suspense in anticipation of the next one in the series. Considering the above merits and good editing quality, I rate the book with 4 out of 4 stars.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KitabuKizuri's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”