Review by Book Lover 35 -- VieVie La Fontaine

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Review by Book Lover 35 -- VieVie La Fontaine

Post by Book Lover 35 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "VieVie La Fontaine" by Linda Heavner Gerald.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Every parent wants the best for their children. That's why I understood why Mark Lichter's parents moved their only son to Paris, instead of letting him stay in Germany. This wonderful story takes place during World War 2. It is called VieVie La Fontaine. It is written by Linda Heavner Gerald.

Mark is a college student studying Law, which he dreads. What he really wants to do is paint. When he is told by his parents that they are moving him to Paris, he is excited to leave. He believes that his parents are just being paranoid, and is surprised by the move. His parents know that it is not safe for him to stay in Germany, since they are Jewish. Before he leaves to Paris, his father warns him not to fall in love with the beautiful VieVie La Fontaine, but when does a teenager ever listen to their parents. When he gets to Paris, he moves in with friends of his family, and starts having the time of his life. Soon he realizes that his parents weren't just paranoid. Things are going down hill in Paris fast, when the Germans start taking over. What will happen to his parents back home and also to Paris? What will happen to him and to all the people that he loves? Will the Germans find out that he is Jewish?

The first thing that attracted me to this story, was the beautiful front cover. I was also curious about the title of the book. Throughout the book, you learn what is so special about this VieVie La Fontaine. The story was very easy to read. The chapters are fairly short. There wasn't a dull moment in the book. Whether you love history or like romances, you would appreciate this book. It was very interesting to learn what it was like in Paris during this time period. I do not usually think about France, when I think of World War 2. I've learned a lot of interesting information such as, the rations that were put on food, clothing, tobacco. What I thought was very brutal, was the lack of coal. There were some very cold winters, and a lot of people trying to get warm. I've also learned about the curfews that they've had. Most importantly, I've learned more about the France Resistance Movement. I've really enjoyed getting to know Mark, and seeing how the war has made him a stronger man. Mark expresses his feeling throughout the book, which helped him sound more like a real person. I liked VieVie La Fontaine and her husband. They took Mark into their home, and made him feel loved. One of my favorite characters is Lotte Moreau. She was Mark's neighbor. She would check on him from time to time. The author gives a lot of detail on what is happening throughout the world, and what people are going through. The ending was good and also unpredictable.

I give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I've tried to find something that I didn't like about this story, but I didn't find anything. It is surprisingly, not too violent. There are also not many sex scenes. I didn't find any grammar errors while reading this book. I think anyone who has an interest in World War 2, or in Paris would enjoy this book. if you like romances or dramas, you might also enjoy it. Anyone that doesn't like these genres, might not like this book so well.

I am blessed that I had a chance to read this book. It was a nice book to end the year with. I hope many people enjoy this book as well.

VieVie La Fontaine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Book Lover 35's review? Post a comment saying so!
:tiphat:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a well-constructed book, which I always appreciate! I'm glad you enjoyed it; thanks for the lovely review!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:

Post by Book Lover 35 »

gen_g wrote: 26 Dec 2018, 03:17 This sounds like a well-constructed book, which I always appreciate! I'm glad you enjoyed it; thanks for the lovely review!
Thank you!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like typical teenage angst. The parents want one thing, the children want another. Poor Mark, he only wants to paint. Thanks for the information about this one!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:

Post by Book Lover 35 »

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 13:14 It sounds like typical teenage angst. The parents want one thing, the children want another. Poor Mark, he only wants to paint. Thanks for the information about this one!
No problem. Thanks for the comment
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am not into romance, but I like history. So, this one will be an interesting read. Thanks for sharing 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sushan wrote: 28 Dec 2018, 22:58 I am not into romance, but I like history. So, this one will be an interesting read. Thanks for sharing 👍👍
Thanks for the comment!
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I keep seeing this book as a review opportunity but I haven't taken the leap. The name sounds like something a teen or young woman would make up after running away. I can't help but try translating it into "Life Life the Fountain"!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I'm not usually a historical fiction fan, but I do find WWII interesting. I can't help but be curious what happens to the main character.
Emy Katherine
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 430
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emy-katherine.html
Latest Review: 9 Days of Piper Snow by Daniella Blechner
Reading Device: B07953N411

Post by Emy Katherine »

"It was very interesting to learn what it was like in Paris during this time period. I do not usually think about France, when I think of World War 2. I've learned a lot of interesting information such as, the rations that were put on food, clothing, tobacco. What I thought was very brutal, was the lack of coal. There were some very cold winters, and a lot of people trying to get warm. I've also learned about the curfews that they've had. Most importantly, I've learned more about the France Resistance Movement. "
Sounds a very informative book for those who are interested in knowing more about World War 2 and what it was like in Paris during this time period. Honestly, I like the cover too. Glad you enjoyed it so much, and I am so glad the book is well edited! I like historical fiction and love romance, so I will add this book to my TBR list. Plus, I am very curious about Mark; in fact, sounds an interesting character. :)
Thank you for the well written review! :tiphat:
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Vscholz wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 18:42 I keep seeing this book as a review opportunity but I haven't taken the leap. The name sounds like something a teen or young woman would make up after running away. I can't help but try translating it into "Life Life the Fountain"!
Lol. The lady character is a bit of a flake but she's pretty interesting too. Thank you for the comment!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:

Post by Book Lover 35 »

teacherjh wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 00:37 I'm not usually a historical fiction fan, but I do find WWII interesting. I can't help but be curious what happens to the main character.
It was good book. I learned a lot from it. Hope you like it. Thanks for the comment!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Emy Katherine wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 05:07
"It was very interesting to learn what it was like in Paris during this time period. I do not usually think about France, when I think of World War 2. I've learned a lot of interesting information such as, the rations that were put on food, clothing, tobacco. What I thought was very brutal, was the lack of coal. There were some very cold winters, and a lot of people trying to get warm. I've also learned about the curfews that they've had. Most importantly, I've learned more about the France Resistance Movement. "
Sounds a very informative book for those who are interested in knowing more about World War 2 and what it was like in Paris during this time period. Honestly, I like the cover too. Glad you enjoyed it so much, and I am so glad the book is well edited! I like historical fiction and love romance, so I will add this book to my TBR list. Plus, I am very curious about Mark; in fact, sounds an interesting character. :)
Thank you for the well written review! :tiphat:
Thank you! Hope you enjoy it.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have been intrigued about this book for a long time, but never gotten around to read it. As a fan of historical fictions, I believe I will like this one. Thanks for the review!
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

Would surely give it a try to know who is Vievie and what happens to mark and his parents.
Thanks a lot for the review Book lover☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”