Review by Cotwani -- Chip’s World: Complex #31 and...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review by Cotwani -- Chip’s World: Complex #31 and...

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker" by Thomas Hill.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Though I dislike the signature bleak future usually painted by dystopian novels, I must admit their reasons for the world getting to that apocalypse state are not usually farfetched. Thomas Hill’s Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker is no exception. In this futuristic science fiction/fantasy novel, humans over-relied on robots for practically everything, including military operations. When a glitch causes defender robots, used in wars, not to differentiate between their masters and the enemy, all hell breaks loose. You may be wondering how this isn’t farfetched. Well, the world now is all about automation as evidenced by a recent article by Sam Ovens entitled, Evolving from human to machine, which said in part:
You must evolve from providing value in the flesh to providing value via the machine. The outcome for the client remains the same. When you do this, you escape the laws of physics and biology. Clients want outcomes. They don’t want an organic human body using their mouths to reverberate sound waves at them.
Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker left me nostalgic about the robot uprising in the movie I, Robot. There were so many similarities between the book and the movie. Of course, the differences were also just as many. After the defender robots go rogue, the surviving humans have to hide underground yet remain constantly at war with the robots. Chip is a supercomputer housed in a mysterious room. It connects to all electronic devices and indirectly rules the New Nation through the unscrupulous High Council. Chip and the High Council are working a tightly wrapped sinister conspiracy. When they suspect that Dean Haggerty, a clever computer programmer, may have stumbled on bits of this conspiracy, they banish him to the desolate northern frontier aka complex # 31. In this manner, Dean becomes the caretaker of complex # 31. Unknown to him, his life is in grave danger, from both within and without the High Council. Will this naïve nerd learn quickly enough to outsmart his enemies? What if the High Council were to take hostage the wife and son he left behind?

The book is action-packed and twists oriented. There is perpetually some threat or altercation amongst the myriad of beings the author creates. He blends technological advancement and fantasy so well that just being human appears bland in comparison. Consider the example of the Sprinters who run at such super speeds that they are a blur to watch. I liked that the author provided a logical explanation of how each group of beings ended up as it is. In other words, though the fantasy was magical, the magic was not rigidly contained in unexplained absolutes.

Writing in the third person, the author offers the reader an omniscient perspective. The book explores wars, government conspiracies, betrayal and perseverance in marriage The plot is more action than character oriented. There is very little background to individual characters. Even for the main protagonist, Dean, his wife and son appear out of nowhere, right in the middle of narration. The nonstop action makes up for anything else that could be lacking. It was all systems go from the start to the end of the book. This was very reminiscent of Island Games by Caleb Boyer. Tweens, teens and young adults would probably be thoroughly thrilled by the book, as such fast-paced action usually draws them in. I also think the book has the potential to be developed into a good movie.

So, why am I rating this book 2 out of 4 stars? To begin with, the author apparently thought he could avoid a lengthy buildup, by moving back and forth in time, during narration. For example, when the G-Critters were about to make an entry into the story, he went back to when and how they came into being, before carrying on with their attack on an unsuspecting victim. Unfortunately, the beings he introduced/created in the whole book were just too many. As a result, the timeframe got muddled up. I had to keep going back to the year at the beginning of each chapter, to find myself, in the unfolding plot. This disrupted the flow of the story. Second, there were too many sub-plots which the author failed to effectively rein in. Thirdly, I encountered numerous grammatical errors, including but not limited to mixed tenses, awkward sentences, wrong word usage, and missing words. This proved to be a wet blanket on my reading experience. Finally, some adjectives like hunchback Charlie felt rather insensitive. In short, the premise was sound, the plot was interesting, but its execution fell short. The bright side is, it is nothing a round of editing can’t fix.

Though this book is right up the tweens’ and younger teens’ alley, I hesitate to recommend it to them in its current state. This is because the grammatical errors may confuse them, especially if English is not their first language. Older teens and adults who don’t mind action over one-dimensional characters can, however, give it a try.

Chip’s World: Complex #31 and The Caretaker
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cotwani's review? Post a comment saying so!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

He blends technological advancement and fantasy so well that just being human appears bland in comparison.
This makes the book seem interesting. Though the grammatical errors are a pity.

Thank you for the detailed review.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

It seems like this one has a lot of work. I was excited when you mentioned I, Robot - but then continued to read on...
Great review, thanks, Cotwani!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Kajori50 wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 13:18
He blends technological advancement and fantasy so well that just being human appears bland in comparison.
This makes the book seem interesting. Though the grammatical errors are a pity.

Thank you for the detailed review.
Yes the book has potential. Thanks for taking time to read, and for giving feedback.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Bianka Walter wrote: 23 Dec 2018, 14:02 It seems like this one has a lot of work. I was excited when you mentioned I, Robot - but then continued to read on...
Great review, thanks, Cotwani!
The I, Robot angle added to the book's lure, but unfortunately...... Thanks for taking time to read the review and leaving a comment.
-Walt Disney
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

It seems an interesting book for me. Nice and detailed review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, the premises sounds rather reminiscent of the Terminator universe. It’s such a shame that so many good books nowadays are let down by a lack of editing. I like complex plots, subplots and stories that jump around, but it sounds like the author hasn’t quite pulled it off.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I love dystopian stories, but this one does not sound developed enough. Bummer.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sushan wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 06:18 It seems an interesting book for me. Nice and detailed review. Thank you 👍👍
Thanks for stopping by Sushan!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Helen_Combe wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 06:06 Great review, the premises sounds rather reminiscent of the Terminator universe. It’s such a shame that so many good books nowadays are let down by a lack of editing. I like complex plots, subplots and stories that jump around, but it sounds like the author hasn’t quite pulled it off.
Yes, Terminator 2and 3 especially! Thanks for stopping by Helen!
-Walt Disney
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review as always! I was interested at first with the plot and the twists, but the confusion of the story line, and the editing mistakes... think I will skip this one but thanks for the outstanding review!
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

There are a lot of books about robot uprisings, and each day it gets more and more real. It is quite terrifying! Sophia the Robot is so fascinating with her personality development, but stories like this make it unsettling.

Thanks for the great review!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I get what you mean by the premise was sound but the execution poor. It is a pity when that happens. The title of the book somehow kept me from reading it. This probably sounds hilarious, but it is true. Maybe I will give it a try some day! Thanks for the honest and insightful review, Connie!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Honestly, I prefer much more character-driven stories and dystopian plots kind of scare me. The plot seems to have many problems too. Hopefully, the author will take your suggestions into account for future books or new editions.
Thank you for your honest review!
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

It creats an intrest within me to read the book after reading your review. The review is neat and detial. Thanks for the review. The storyline of the book is beautifully explained.
---

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”