Review by Nyambura Githui -- Twisted Threads

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Review by Nyambura Githui -- Twisted Threads

Post by Nyambura Githui »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren is the 4th book in the Threads series. It’s a sexy mystery romantic novel about revenge and family loyalty. The book starts with a scene about the Watcher sending free cruise tickets to lure in the Lyon family to take revenge.

Akira Sato is an assassin of the Zakura-kai one of the notorious yakuza family in Japan. She’s sent one a mission to avenge the death of Keiko, her Mitsui-san’s sister. She believes that her boss Mitsui-san has planned to punish her after the mission because she tried to kill him. Akira boards the cruise with the intention of finishing the mission and running off. Her plan very simple, to find an attractive, unassuming man with a weakness for women to aid in her escape. That man being Devon Lyons. Akira plays the shy innocent, naïve soul in order to gain Devon’s trust and information about his family. Shocking secrets are revealed during the cruise. Will Akira be able to complete her mission? Or will she willingly accept to be lost in the game she was playing with Devon?

I found myself really invested in their individual stories. Akira feels miserable about her life as an assassin but she’s strong and self-reliant. She has been through a lot in her life to the extent of even severing ties with her loved ones. Devon is attractive, charming, and has trust issues and insecurity. He sees Akira as the one he has been waiting for all his life to be a partner to. For him it’s love at first sight.

The book is written in 3rd person point of view with alternating characters narration done faultlessly. McFarren’s writing is character driven and thoroughly edited. The book is full of twists and turns that are unexpected and the characters are uniquely portrayed.

The characters are well developed and relevant. The assault and crime scenes are explained intricately with no confusion. It is seen that McFarren has put a lot of research in the book about traveling in a cruise and also about different cultures. My favorite twisted character was the Watcher, how she murders the wrongdoers or uses their weakness to control them and revels in their destruction.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because I enjoyed the book as a whole. It is a total page turner and the writing is professional. I’d recommend this book to people who love romantic suspense novels, and to those who don’t it’s worth the shot.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nyambura Githui's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It seems you really enjoyed this cruise with Akira and Devon. I have been meaning to start this series myself. I hope I will find the time this year.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Sounds like an intriguing and captivating romance story. Am glad you enjoyed reading the book. Awesome review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

You brought the book to life in this review. It's interesting that you focused on the Watcher, who seems to be an enigmatic character.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:

Miriam Molina wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 18:48 It seems you really enjoyed this cruise with Akira and Devon. I have been meaning to start this series myself. I hope I will find the time this year.
Hope you do find time. The book is worth reading.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 20 Jan 2019, 03:06 You brought the book to life in this review. It's interesting that you focused on the Watcher, who seems to be an enigmatic character.
The watcher does play a major role. Every character in that ship is but a pone in the Watcher's plans. The events in the book are unexpected.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I also enjoyed the book. Only that Yuki's killer, Tamayo, was not not properly plotted. Great review!
Miriamsam
Currently Reading: The Award
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriamsam.html
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas

Post by Miriamsam »

Great review. It sounds like such a killer adventure being on that cruise.
Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:

Miriamsam wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 16:25 Great review. It sounds like such a killer adventure being on that cruise.
Thanks for the comment.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”