Review by Miss_BeckyG -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Review by Miss_BeckyG -- Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Four Funny Potatoes!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley, is a children’s book written and illustrated by the author himself. The story is about four potatoes, or rather three potatoes and one banana. Eenie, Meenie, Miney and Mo, sleep in a bowl during the day and put on a show at night. The potatoes are joined by other foods and fruits in the kitchen such as Sofia the sandwich, the two silly egg heads, the goofy grape brothers, and Jesse the jelly bean.

The story is full of funny characters such as the string bean director and the potatoes in pants. I must admit the book made for a delightful read in the company of my daughter. I believe there is no better critic for a children’s book than a child. In Four Funny Potatoes!, the author makes use of rhyme to keep the story entertaining. If read in a sing-song voice, I think children will enjoy the story more. The only downside to the rhyme is that it sounds a little off in some instances.

Besides the quirky illustrations, the text is written in different colors. Some of the colors used relate to the character being mentioned. For instance the yellow shiny color describing the banana is written in yellow text. The combination of illustrations and colored text adds to the captivating experience the book offers kids.

Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley may not seem anything more than a silly story. Once I was able to re-read the story, I realized the banana was adamant in trying to be heard. This can be construed as a lesson for kids to learn to speak up for themselves.

I believe the book deserved a 4 out of 4 stars rating. My daughter and I enjoyed the book so much. I would recommend it to children from the ages of 2 to 6 years though I believe younger kids will enjoy the colorful illustrations too.

Four Funny Potatoes!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Miss_BeckyG's review? Post a comment saying so!
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
kaymontacell
Currently Reading: Becoming the Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaymontacell.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by kaymontacell »

Great review! I probably won't be reading this anytime soon, but I liked the way you teased apart the story and use of illustration while still keeping in mind that this is a kids' book.
"No way but forward!"
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I know a book-loving toddler who would probably get a kick out of this book! Thanks for the review :)
Miss_BeckyG

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

kaymontacell wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 15:16 Great review! I probably won't be reading this anytime soon, but I liked the way you teased apart the story and use of illustration while still keeping in mind that this is a kids' book.
Thanks kaymontacell. It is a lovely book.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
Miss_BeckyG

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

Firefawkes wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 17:33 I know a book-loving toddler who would probably get a kick out of this book! Thanks for the review :)
Thanks Firefawkes. I hope you got the toddler the book. I've been rereading this one with my nephew.
Marianne Williamson

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”