Review by Hiruni Bhagya 81 -- Sigfried’s Smelly So...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Review by Hiruni Bhagya 81 -- Sigfried’s Smelly So...

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried's Smelly Socks is a funny children's book about the gross smells coming from Sigfried's book and his pile of dirty socks. Both the story and the illustrations were done by Len Foley.

Sigfried's book is nasty smelling. Different pages of it smell differently. Sigfried himself is at fault for most of the smells. But the culprits for the rest of the smells are his family members and his pet dog, Oscar. There's something with an even more terrible smell. Can you guess? Yes, you are right. They are his smelly socks. So, now he has to find a solution to his smelly problem. He is struck with a brilliant solution which is very hilarious. The hilarity of this solution lies mostly in the illustrations. Therefore, while reading this book, don't forget to check those pictures. Especially the last one.

The book, written using simple rhyming sentences is very funny and written only with the aim of bringing joy to small children. For every new smell, the picture of the source of that smell is given making it easy to understand.

In the first few pages, the only font colour used is black. But gradually, while introducing us to the different coloured socks of varying smells the author has used the relevant colours as the font colours.

What I liked most about this book is the creative descriptions of various smells drifting off different socks. My favourites are his green socks which smell like ostrich breath and his blue socks which smell like skunk feet. Also, I liked the author's ingenious humour in instances like using a pizza slice to mark the place as he reads.

I didn't much appreciate not having a story to read. It might be more enjoyable if the author had developed it to a story instead of presenting a single incident with humour.

Since the subject of this story is the disgusting smells coming from Sigfried's book and his pile of dirty socks, only those who can find things funny in gross situations will appreciate the author's wicked humour. So, I can't recommend this book for anyone who finds gross things repulsive. If you can see the humour in gross things, then, this is your cup of tea.

There were no grammatical or editing errors and the story was delivered perfectly with humour. Since the author's imaginative skills were displayed with each and every single page, I'd like to award this a perfect score of 4 out of 4 stars. There's no reason to deduct scores, even if some readers may not appreciate reading about gross things and having to find humour in them.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Hiruni Bhagya 81's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This was another fun story by Mr. Foley! It's definitely a bit gross, but fun for kids that enjoy that sort of thing. Thanks for the review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 13:12 This was another fun story by Mr. Foley! It's definitely a bit gross, but fun for kids that enjoy that sort of thing. Thanks for the review!
Thanks so much for your comments! Kids who enjoy that sort of humour will like this book for sure.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 13:18
kandscreeley wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 13:12 This was another fun story by Mr. Foley! It's definitely a bit gross, but fun for kids that enjoy that sort of thing. Thanks for the review!
Thanks so much for your comments! Kids who enjoy that sort of humour will like this book for sure.
I agree with what Jandscreely wrote. I also enjoyed this book. Thanks for a lovely review.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

Ayat paarsa wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 23:24
I agree with what Jandscreely wrote. I also enjoyed this book. Thanks for a lovely review.
Thank you so much for dropping by and commenting on my review.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 10:31
Ayat paarsa wrote: 29 Dec 2018, 23:24

Thank you so much for dropping by and commenting on my review.
Oh, I am feeling so sorry to miss kandscreeley, I miss typed and miss spelled her name. :doh: Hopefully she will accept my apologies and neglect it. No need to say thanks, I liked your review. 😊
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I also reviewed this book. Its funny depiction of different things makes it enjoyable. But I think it could be made more effective by adding a moral lesson. Thanks for the review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

A smell like ostrich breath?? That's hilarious!
Thanks for a great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

Sarah Tariq wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 02:37 I also reviewed this book. Its funny depiction of different things makes it enjoyable. But I think it could be made more effective by adding a moral lesson. Thanks for the review.
I have to agree with you about giving a moral since it's a children's book. Thanks so much for your comments!
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

Bianka Walter wrote: 31 Dec 2018, 03:23 A smell like ostrich breath?? That's hilarious!
Thanks for a great review!
I don't know from where the author got to smell it. But apparently it's really funny. Thanks a lot for your comments!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I have read a few reviews of this book now, but I particularly enjoyed yours. You paint a great picture and I can imagine the experience of reading the book in all its glory of colour and smells!
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

Julie Green wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 13:41 I have read a few reviews of this book now, but I particularly enjoyed yours. You paint a great picture and I can imagine the experience of reading the book in all its glory of colour and smells!
Thank you so much for your kind words! Yes, it's a colourful book with sooo many different, and unique smells.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Thank you for your review! I too have reviewed this book long time back, and couldn't agree more with the humors factors in this read.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 11 Jan 2019, 04:28 Thank you for your review! I too have reviewed this book long time back, and couldn't agree more with the humors factors in this read.
Thanks for your comments! I appreciate it very much.
vishmitharuka2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by vishmitharuka2 »

It would have been better if the author gave a moral to the kids like in some of his other kiddie books. But you have to appreciate him for his unique imagination. I want to read this book, not because I find gross things to be funny, but to know more about the smells coming from Sigfried's socks pile and his book. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”