Review by Ayat paarsa -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ayat paarsa
2019 Reading Goal: 15
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 53
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Review by Ayat paarsa -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Ayat paarsa » 19 Dec 2018, 06:52

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A book was published in September 2017 by New Horizon Health, Inc. The name of that book was Sigfried's Smelly Socks and it was written by Mr. Len Foley. A new poet introduced in the world of kid's poetry soon after the publication of that book. Now, this poet has become much popular. His book is the recipient of MCA honoring seal. Sigfried's Smelly Socks is actually a free verse poem narrated on 27 pages. It is apparently written by a little boy named Sigfried. Sigfried's father is not happy with the pile of unwashed socks that he keeps hidden beneath his bed. That's why Sigfried is trying to prove that his socks don't cause much trouble.

Technically: The title of the book is a perfect example of alliteration in the poetry. The poet used different similes to exactly express the smell of socks; as, "My orange socks smell like rotten cabbage" etc. A "Silly book" has been used as a metaphor in this poem. Sigfried's behavior is continuously ironic in the whole poem. Some verses have good rhythm, better if they were written in the form of couplets rather than the line breaks within them. The poets have to thoroughly follow the main concept (i-e smell) in a poem; the author graphically depicted imagery through the sense of smell. This poem is flawless in this aspect.

By the editorial point of view: I noticed only a few reasonable mistakes in this poem. I am not satisfied with preface of the book though "To Becky and Sofia, whose never-ending pile of socks inspired this story." First of all, this is not a story. Secondly, the poet should had to add a further moral note in the preface. At first sight, I had an objection with the page sequence as well. I think the main subject "The smelly socks" should come first and then he could add all about "Silly book" (Just before Page# 21 and 22). However, a little liberty should be given to the authors, so as they can carry on their project as they want. Pictorial graphics were fine, but both the two main objects "A pile of socks beneath Sigfried's bed" and "Silly book" are missing in the illustrations. Banana and potato are also not looking rotten.

This book will help the kids who are trying to create a poem. It will automatically teach them some literary techniques that are required to create a poem. Other children (ages 5-10) also can avail it for fun and entertainment sake. I think "Four Funny Potatoes" by the same author is much beneficial educationally for the kids who are learning their basics and are at nursery level etccurrently (ages 3-4).

It's a bit disgusting as well. Never in my worst dreams, I imagined such an untidy book as well as socks. But the poet had to do this as it was the demand of the topic. It's interesting to read too, as Sigfried explains the smell of his socks without using the word "Sweat". In aggregate, the flaws I counted are minor and more points are going in favor of the book. I think this book deserves 3 out of 4 stars.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ayat paarsa's review? Post a comment saying so!
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Earthside Trilogy by Sherri Fulmer Moorer

Post by Cotwani » 20 Dec 2018, 14:11

I must admit your perspective of the book is quite unique. Thanks for such a refreshing review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Sushan
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 110
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Sushan » 20 Dec 2018, 14:19

This is the book that I reviewed recently, though it is not published yet. I agree with all the points that you have mentioned. nice work.
"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help"

Abraham Lincoln

:techie-studyingbrown: $u$han €kanayak€ :techie-studyingbrown:

Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:

Post by Ayat paarsa » 20 Dec 2018, 18:21

Cotwani wrote:
20 Dec 2018, 14:11
I must admit your perspective of the book is quite unique. Thanks for such a refreshing review!
Thanks for appreciating, I actually like to say something different and unique. So, your words delighted me.

Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:

Post by Ayat paarsa » 20 Dec 2018, 18:32

Sushan wrote:
20 Dec 2018, 14:19
This is the book that I reviewed recently, though it is not published yet. I agree with all the points that you have mentioned. nice work.
Thanks you liked my job. I am sure you also would have done a remarkable job. I will like to see when that'll publish.

centfie
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 34
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 250
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: The Touch
Bookshelf Size: 410
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-centfie.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by centfie » 22 Dec 2018, 09:24

Awesome review. How did you come up with all those words to review a poem? Great job!
“If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that.” Stephen King

Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:

Post by Ayat paarsa » 22 Dec 2018, 11:13

centfie wrote:
22 Dec 2018, 09:24
Awesome review. How did you come up with all those words to review a poem? Great job!
It was not me actually, they were the poet's words that made me think in a poetic way. I must have to admire his talent to create a poem. After reading this book I wished, if I could also create a poem on a specific topic. :eusa-think: Thanks for a comment.

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Divided We Stand by William de Berg

Post by gen_g » 27 Dec 2018, 04:57

This is definitely a fresh perspective; I love how you summarised all the points from different POVs. Thanks for the detailed review.

Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:

Post by Ayat paarsa » 27 Dec 2018, 08:59

gen_g wrote:
27 Dec 2018, 04:57
This is definitely a fresh perspective; I love how you summarised all the points from different POVs. Thanks for the detailed review.
Thanks for appreciating my point of views. I must have to admire your way of narration here. :D

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 77
Currently Reading: Sunshine at the Academy
Bookshelf Size: 308
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Forever Will End: Gospel of Chaos Book One by Dom Brandt

Post by kandscreeley » 28 Dec 2018, 08:41

Yes, I guess you could say that this book is one big poem. I didn't think of it like that. The author is gifted in his use of descriptions for sure. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.
-Louisa May Alcott

Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:

Post by Ayat paarsa » 28 Dec 2018, 12:36

kandscreeley wrote:
28 Dec 2018, 08:41
Yes, I guess you could say that this book is one big poem. I didn't think of it like that. The author is gifted in his use of descriptions for sure. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
Oh, thanks for an honest comment, I appreciate it. Yeah, I know my approach towards the book is different than others; Some people might not agree with it. I find a big poet in him, but illustration wise I more liked his book, Four Funny Potatoes. :D

Zimall
2019 Reading Goal: 60
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall » 30 Dec 2018, 06:49

I have read and reviewed this book and i have to agree that it was a bit disgusting or should i say gross at times, but it was hilarious at the same time. Thumbs up for a good honest review Ayat👍
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"

Kibetious
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 70
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 55
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 49
Currently Reading: The Impact of Boko Haram on the Indigenous Peoples of Mandara Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 840
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: the Creator or God. by LMDumizulu

Post by Kibetious » 30 Dec 2018, 08:45

This is a very and detailed review. Thanks a lot for it. I am sure that the positive criticism will help the author a lot especially in his next endeavors.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:

Post by Ayat paarsa » 30 Dec 2018, 18:15

Zimall wrote:
30 Dec 2018, 06:49
I have read and reviewed this book and i have to agree that it was a bit disgusting or should i say gross at times, but it was hilarious at the same time. Thumbs up for a good honest review Ayat👍
My pleasure, it's an honor for me if you really liked my honesty. Yeah, of course, it was cheery as well, how bubbly Sigfried was. :lol2:

Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:

Post by Ayat paarsa » 30 Dec 2018, 18:36

Kibetious wrote:
30 Dec 2018, 08:45
This is a very and detailed review. Thanks a lot for it. I am sure that the positive criticism will help the author a lot especially in his next endeavors.
Exactly, this is why I omitted a star. Otherwise, these minor things normally go unnoticed by the children. What noteworthy in this poem is no grammatical mistakes and a flawless four-star narration. The fascinating talent of the author sparkles throughout the narration. 😀

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”