Review by sarahmarlowe -- Eyes of the Predator:

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by sarahmarlowe -- Eyes of the Predator:

Post by sarahmarlowe »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Eyes of the Predator:" by Glenn Trust.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From the Dedication page: “For the victims.”
Eyes of a Predator, by Glenn Trust, is the first book in The Hunters Series. In this introductory novel, readers follow the story of a psychopathic serial killer as he goes on a search for victims. This particular trip is across the Deep South, and the killer leaves bodies in a rural county in Georgia. Deputy George Mackey is a county deputy who joins in the search for the killer. He is a little rusty in his professionalism, but his investigative instincts are on point. Mackey joins with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation hopefully to find the killer and to rescue another victim.

The author is a master of creating imagery with words. One rural image that stands out to me is Mackey pulling to a stop and sitting for a few seconds, allowing the dust to settle before he gets out of his truck. Trust obviously has experience with country roads and settings. The writing is smooth, and the dialogue is natural. There are also many twists and turns in the plot. As someone who enjoys reading books in the crime and mystery genre, I try to figure things out as I read, and very predictable books are not enjoyable. I loved that Eyes of a Predator caught me off-guard several times.

The character-building of the serial killer was fantastic. Trust uses symbolism to reinforce the idea that this serial killer is an animalistic predator, using allusions to animal hunters and prey. He also doesn’t furnish the name of the killer until well into the story, keeping him impersonal to the reader. We see through his eyes, how he stalks, and how he thinks. Description in the third person adds to the clinical, impersonal personality of the killer.

The only thing I didn’t like about his book was the lack of professional editing. That was distracting in an otherwise very involving read. There are comma errors and formatting issues, and even “y’all” is misspelled in this Georgia-set book.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Although I read this book voraciously, the poor editing won’t allow me to give the book 4 stars. I definitely wouldn’t give it 2 stars because I do highly recommend it. There is some foul language and, of course, a good deal of violence. If you are squeamish or don’t want to read about torture, you won’t like this book. Although I wouldn’t classify the torture as physically gruesome, it is certainly bloody and emotionally intense.

I would recommend this book to people who enjoy crime novels, suspense plots, and thrillers. Glenn Trust has won me over, for sure. I plan to read the rest of The Hunter Series.

Eyes of the Predator:
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sarahmarlowe's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think misspelling "y'all" should be a crime in any book set in the South.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

esp1975 wrote: 17 Jul 2019, 10:05 I think misspelling "y'all" should be a crime in any book set in the South.
:bow-yellow: :bow-yellow: :bow-yellow: :bow-yellow:

Yes! Thank you for that comment! I mean, come on, we say "y'all" more than we say "grits!" :laughing-rollingyellow: :laughing-rollingyellow:
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”