Review by Noeld150 -- VieVie La Fontaine

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Noeld150
Favorite Book: Pancake Money
Currently Reading: The Brahma Spectrum
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noeld150.html
Latest Review: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound by Richard L Haight

Review by Noeld150 -- VieVie La Fontaine

Post by Noeld150 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "VieVie La Fontaine" by Linda Heavner Gerald.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I am not a history buff and normally do not read historical novels. VieVie La Fontaine, written by Linda Heavner Gerald, captured my interest from the moment I began reading. The book begins as an encapsulated history of the rise of Adolf Hitler in the times after World War I Germany.

This story is told by Mark Lichter, a young Jewish man who is forced by his parents to leave family and friends in Germany and flee to Paris for his own safety. Mark is driven to Paris to stay at the home of friends he has never met, Louie and VieVie LaFontaine. She is a captivating, beautiful woman, and he is a revered French General. Mark is filled with guilt for leaving his parents behind, as he moves into a palatial home and a life filled with luxury. He feels selfish, but he has no control over the situation.

Gerald has created a beautiful and bittersweet love story, which I found delightful to read. It must be difficult to write a historical novel and bring it to life. The author's literary style is intense yet easy to read. Mark begins to pursue the art of painting with the willing assistance of VieVie. Their mutual love of painting brings them close together, and their bond lasts all their lives. Theirs is a tumultuous relationship, and the author makes you feel the pain and suffering each of them incurs. Her writing style makes this historical novel read almost like a love story. Perhaps that is why I enjoyed this book so much.

I believe there were no grammatical errors in the book. That alone made it an enjoyable read. Her attention to historical facts and places is remarkable. I know I did learn much about history and the fear, terror and deprivation of Europe at the time of Hitler's reign. I believed I was living right in the moment as I read page after page of detailed accounts of what was occurring at that terrible time in history.

I believe Gerald is a gifted storywriter, and I would recommend this book to all adult readers. It has some graphic details, so I would hesitate suggesting young teens tackle this novel. Readers will learn much of what times were like during the anguish of Hitler's reign in the 1930's and 1940's. I learned much about Paris' involvement and the French Resistance Fighters. This book should delight many adults, not just history buffs. I rate VieVie La Fontaine a 4 out of 4 stars and look forward to reading more books by this author.

VieVie La Fontaine
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Noeld150's review? Post a comment saying so!
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I am also not one into or know a great deal regarding a lot of historical events and normally are not into books that regards wars or such thing yet this was a really good book and I did enjoy reading it.
Chelsea N. Hackett

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”