Review by briellejee -- McDowell by William H. Coles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Review by briellejee -- McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by briellejee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "McDowell" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rarely do authors make their characters flawed and somehow distasteful, but William H. Coles has no problem in doing so. McDowell is a novel about family, betrayal, self-growth, and love. It is an extraordinary story of different lives interwoven together by a single person.

Hiram McDowell is a renowned surgeon who has no regard for others except his children from his two failed marriages. From adultery to murder, he has done almost everything against the law. For years, he has been doing these things freely… until karma decided to turn things around. Little by little, his wrongdoings are starting to have consequences. The people he betrayed before are speaking up, and they will not stop until he gets what he deserves. Will he be able to get back up and protect his unstained reputation? Will he be able to survive a life without fortune and privilege? McDowell will soon learn that the heavens may have taken a long time, but they surely never forget.

First of all, the summary above doesn’t justify the whole story. The other characters in McDowell's life had their own story to tell, however briefly. The book's pacing bordered on fast and slow. The author knew when to take time discussing a specific event and when to skip the unnecessary details, making the book not tedious to read. The first part talked about McDowell's life before his conviction, and the second part was about his life after. One thing I liked was the element of surprise. Coles knew when and how to insert a plot twist, which is praiseworthy.

Moreover, Coles is known for his remarkable characters, and this one is no exception. As mentioned above, the supporting characters have their own story of struggle and pain. Most of the time, readers tend to forget the other personas in the book, especially when only mentioned once or twice. However, Coles has well-written characters that can surely make an impression to the reader. There were no clear protagonist or antagonist while I was reading the book, which makes it one of a kind. You will hate McDowell as if he was the villain in his own story and you will cheer for his enemies to take him down.

Unfortunately, I found a handful of editing errors. Most of them were grammatical errors like using "you're" instead of "your", and having a double past-tense in a sentence. The lack of commas was also noted.

McDowell is a masterpiece. I was amazed at how my emotions shifted throughout the story for one character. I think that was one of the prominent elements I liked in this book. Honestly, I couldn't name a single thing that I disliked while reading it. The plot and characters were all well-written. I would have given a perfect rating if not for the multiple errors I found in the book. Thus, I give this 3 out of 4 stars rating.

I think this book would appeal to people who are interested in character-driven books and a gradually increasing plot. However, I would not recommend this to people who like action-driven writing styles and hate the slow movement of a plot; they might find this book boring. Most of the context deals with death, psychological traumas, and depression, which I think is unsuitable for young people. They were also some explicit scenes involved.

The lessons in life and things about human nature are also noteworthy. With that said, I leave you one of my favorite lines in the book:

"You think you're a good person and you want to know why bad things happen to good people. But that's not in the book. It's in the living"

McDowell
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like briellejee's review? Post a comment saying so!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

I’m glad this book resonated with you in ways it didn’t for me. I suppose I can admit that it was great that the characters weren’t black-and-white, and while I didn’t connect with Sophie and really did not like Billie, I did like the way so many of his family members were characters.

Thank you for your thoughtful review of this one!
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I liked how the author wrote this novel in multiple perspectives and readers had a chance to look into the psyche of every single character.
Thanks a lot for the review Briellejee ☺😊
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 17 Feb 2019, 20:03 I’m glad this book resonated with you in ways it didn’t for me. I suppose I can admit that it was great that the characters weren’t black-and-white, and while I didn’t connect with Sophie and really did not like Billie, I did like the way so many of his family members were characters.

Thank you for your thoughtful review of this one!
It helped me to understand more of Coles' style because I read one of his books before. So, it was easier for me to focus more on the story and how he weaved it rather than his style since I am used to it. Also, I am used to reading such bizarre characters and writing style since I am an avid fan of Haruki Murakami; who uses - and is awarded for it- a lot of symbolism in his books. :techie-studyingbrown:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Zimall wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 03:02 I liked how the author wrote this novel in multiple perspectives and readers had a chance to look into the psyche of every single character.
Thanks a lot for the review Briellejee ☺😊
It's like they are all pieces of a puzzle - unique and important one way or another. Thanks for stopping by Zimall :tiphat:
Kristin Ransome
Currently Reading: Way of Kings
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-firefawkes.html
Latest Review: The Augur's View by Victoria Lehrer

Post by Kristin Ransome »

I like how the McDowell is not portrayed as the traditional hero and is full of flaws! I'm curious to know what his motives were for breaking all sorts of laws, and so I'll be reading this in the near future! Thanks for the great review! :)
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Firefawkes wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 17:39 I like how the McDowell is not portrayed as the traditional hero and is full of flaws! I'm curious to know what his motives were for breaking all sorts of laws, and so I'll be reading this in the near future! Thanks for the great review! :)
Spoiler alert though (and this is not because I love to give spoilers or to spoil your reading but to give you a heads up as to not give you high expectations): McDowell is just an a**. Him breaking the laws of all sorts is just his personality. :techie-studyingbrown: Thanks for considering reading it! Also, you might want to check out @BelleReadsNietzsche 's review about it, because it is different from mine. At least, you'll have to think twice. :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: Thanks for stopping by!
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

briellejee wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 21:45
Firefawkes wrote: 18 Feb 2019, 17:39 I like how the McDowell is not portrayed as the traditional hero and is full of flaws! I'm curious to know what his motives were for breaking all sorts of laws, and so I'll be reading this in the near future! Thanks for the great review! :)
Spoiler alert though (and this is not because I love to give spoilers or to spoil your reading but to give you a heads up as to not give you high expectations): McDowell is just an a**. Him breaking the laws of all sorts is just his personality. :techie-studyingbrown: Thanks for considering reading it! Also, you might want to check out @BelleReadsNietzsche 's review about it, because it is different from mine. At least, you'll have to think twice. :tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: Thanks for stopping by!
SO KIND OF YOU TO SAY BRIELLEJEE!

I’m sure both of us would love to hear your perspective on this one @Firefawkes. The motivation for breaking the law that gets him into trouble is VERY interesting. I am not sure about how well it worked FOR ME as being the catalyst for things changing but I did find it believable.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

As you say, the characters are extremely well developed, and I usually enjoy character-driven stories and personal narratives. However, I disliked Hiram so much that I wasn't able to enjoy this book as much as I would've liked. I guess that's a win for the author: to create such a realistic character that I truly hated him. I also found the misogynistic attitudes too offputting to like the novel. I agree, anyway, that the novel is masterfully written.
Thank you very much for such a comprehensive review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”