Review by N_R -- Concealment by Rose Edmunds

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Review by N_R -- Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by N_R »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Concealment" by Rose Edmunds.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you like reading a novel which has twists and turns with unexpected outcomes? Do you like a novel which draws you in so you cannot put it down, takes some time to set the scene and builds up realistic characters? If you answered yes to both these questions, then I recommend this novel for you. Concealment by Rose Edmunds is the first novel in the Crazy Amy series and is brilliantly written with excellent plot development.

The novel starts by introducing Amy and her high-flying life. While she seems to have everything that a girl would want with a wonderful job, financial stability and overall success, her manager at work is a bully who continually tries to tap into her insecurities and she has secrets she wants to keep hidden. Amy has a difficult past and is embarrassed about her family history, so she holds many insecurities that people will eventually find out about who she really is, and her façade will crumble. The novel takes some time to build the picture of Amy’s life and assist the reader to understand why she holds this intense insecurity. When a junior colleague is murdered, Amy’s world seems to start collapsing around her, especially when she suspects her manager, Ed Smithies, as being the killer. This theory starts to turn on its head when some of the evidence points to Amy’s guilt for the murder. When her home life starts to spill into her work life, her manager starts to uncover some of her past and Amy appears to alternate between paranoia and being the only person who is thinking clearly. With some of the impulsive and elaborate decisions that she makes to pursue the truth of her workplace and clear her name, the reader is never sure what is coming next. As you near the end of the novel, all the split ends of the puzzle start to come together, and the situation becomes clear.

The factor that I did not like about this novel initially was that it was a bit hard to become immersed in the storyline from the start. This is because there is quite a slow build up to the story in regard to the situation with Amy’s workplace and the character of her manager, Ed. Ed Smithies is described as an egotistical and sexist male in a prominent position and, being a female reader, I found this somewhat hard to digest. However, as I continued reading and became immersed in the story, I can see why there was a lot of build-up required for the storyline.

What I liked most about this novel is that the story was quick to escalate after the slow start. Once this happened, I found that I could not put the book down. The element that I enjoyed most about the storyline was that I always felt that I never knew what was coming next and I had to keep guessing whether Amy’s perception and choices were due to paranoia or whether she was seeing the situation clearly. As I love books with a lot of mystery, it was very thought-provoking and I started to wonder how I would behave in Amy’s situation which, at times, seemed impossible. The language and wording of the novel made it easy to read and there were no significant spelling or grammar issues which always distract from the content of a storyline.

I think that this book would be best suited to readers of either gender. With the content containing themes related to murder, substance abuse issues, mental health, and a complex workplace, I feel that it is better suited to readers over 30 years of age who have some workplace and life experience. I do not think that it is suited to teenage or young readers with these themes and content. Overall, I would rate this book as a 4 out of 4 stars. This is because the story was very compelling and the characters become very realistic and behaved in ways which were believable. The book also appears to have been professionally proofread and edited, so there was a high-quality presentation with no distracting errors.

Concealment
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like N_R's review? Post a comment saying so!
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

That was an impressive review. I like that you pointed out it was a slow to build story, for readers like me who prefer to be engrossed from the get-go, that is an important selling point to know it escalates to interesting in the end. Thank you.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This comprehensive review makes me want to put this one on my to-read list. I can manage a slow start if the story becomes so riveting that you hate to put it down. Well done!
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 16 Dec 2018, 21:42 This comprehensive review makes me want to put this one on my to-read list. I can manage a slow start if the story becomes so riveting that you hate to put it down. Well done!
Thanks for your comment - I hope that you enjoy reading the book, I certainly did.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”