Review by Jdalba2018 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jdalba2018
Currently Reading: A Trace of Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 754
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdalba2018.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Review by Jdalba2018 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Jdalba2018 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I started reading Raven's Peak, I felt like being in a rollercoaster; the prologue was this first fall most of those rides have, before starting to go uphill for a higher, steeper fall. The story of Arthur, the Reverend, and the way he fights his own demons and then some more, was brilliantly told. The description of the underground prison, the guards, the cells, Arthur’s energy, the atmosphere inside, everything is perfectly set and puts you in the right mood for action.

Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole tells the story of an odd couple: Abigail, a demon hunter working for a secret society in charge of protecting humankind from evil doers from hell and Haatim an “ordinary” guy suffering from depression after his sister’s death from cancer. They meet apparently by chance not knowing their paths will be intertwined from the moment they see themselves for the first time. Abigail is some kind of Lara Croft, physically well trained and a master of using all kind of weapons for taking down everyone who gets in the way; she doesn’t think twice when someone or something needs to be taken care of. Haatim, on the other hand, is at a low point in his life where he doesn’t know what to do or how to start again, he is not in good terms with his father, has lost his faith and does not have plans for tomorrow.

I enjoyed all the action-packed chapters, the situations presented to our heroes and the humor inserted once in a while during the course of the story. I think the characters need to be a little more developed, sometimes I was left a little bit confused from the way they reacted to certain circumstances and also there are some situations coming out of nowhere making the story a little hard to digest. Also, this tendency borrowed from TV series that leave us with many loose ends in order to make you crave for the next episode is something that I personally do not like at all.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars mainly because, although it kept me entertained the whole time, there are lots of common places from action stories that make the book a little predictable. If you like action stories, this is for you. You will find some supernatural beings trying to terrorize and dominate our world, people doing bizarre things when possessed by those beings and of course weapons, explosions, danger, chases, and all those things we like to see in this genre. Some people may consider the story a little bit violent.

Finally, I found some minor lapses in the writing, not many but very notable.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jdalba2018's review? Post a comment saying so!
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I enjoyed reading your review! This book sounds very entertaining, but I do like good character development in my stories. Thank you for being so thorough!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Jdalba2018
Currently Reading: A Trace of Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 754
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdalba2018.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Jdalba2018 »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 17:43 I enjoyed reading your review! This book sounds very entertaining, but I do like good character development in my stories. Thank you for being so thorough!
Thank you for reading and comenting, it really made me feel so good as this is the first comment I receive.
Best wishes for 2019 :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”