Review by David Horta Alonso -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
David Horta Alonso
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-horta-alonso.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Review by David Horta Alonso -- Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by David Horta Alonso »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches 3" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel Heartaches 3 by H.M Irwing is a fictional novel. The leading characters are Rafael and Anna. Anna is a teenage girl who is in college. However, she is dealing with the pains of losing his beloved father. Apart from that she has been raped by her first lover Matt Preston. Preston had succeeded in sedating and taking advantage of her. These happenings cause Anna lots of sorrow. She is confused and swears not to fall for any man that comes her way. She abides by her promise until one day she meets Rafael, a charming young man from the military college. She falls for Rafael. They are both coming from similar pasts considering that Rafael boss at the college was a gay and used his position to rape him.

Rafael is the person who helps Anna to cope with the hardships in her life. He distracts her from her troubles, as Anna enjoys her time with Rafael, he unknowingly inspires her to work together to make a positive change. And surely, he succeeds because Anna recollects the focus she once had in life.

The novel is fun and entertaining with interesting and relatable characters. Anna struggles are things I can proudly associate with. They are but some of the problems facing the youth today. Moreover, divorce, gay and drug trafficking are the contemporary happenings in the society today. Divorce is a difficult story for many families today. Brian Simmons is a monster because of the divorce between his parents. He is angry at Anna. He feels his father had abandoned him to be with her family. His anger pushes him to masterminds Anna’s rape to get his vengeance.

I would highly recommend this novel to persons coming from divorced families. There is surely a lot to be learnt from Anna and Brian relationship. Even though, there is friction in their relationship at the beginning, they manage to handle things amicably. They end up being proud of one another. That’s how siblings from divorced parents should relate to their step siblings. Victims of rape can also read this novel. However, this book would not be suitable for kids.

The only thing I liked in the book is the portrayal of women as weak species. Women like Anna are seen to be overly reliant on men. Her life hangs on Rafael. Anna admits that, she would die if she were to lose Rafael. She clings onto Rafael in her pursuit of justice.

I rate this novel at 3 out of 4 stars. The novel clearly highlights the issues in our society. The theme and lessons are put in an understandable way. It was an excellent book. I did not spot any error in the novel.

Heartaches 3
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like David Horta Alonso's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”