Review by Amy+++ -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Review by Amy+++ -- Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Amy+++ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine meeting a granddaughter that you didn't know you had. Then, imagine taking your granddaughter with you on a trip into the woods to go to your grandfather's burial site. Tom was against having his granddaughter, Sarah, come with him and his friends, William and Myra, on a trip to visit his grandfather, but his friend, William convinces him to take Sarah along because she has nowhere else to go, her mom is dead, her stepdad is in Europe and her grandmother and stepgrandfather don't want her. Hearing this argument from William, Tom brings Sarah along against his better judgment, and their incredible journey soon begins. As their trip proceeds into the dark forest to place an ancient spear thrower with Tom's grandfather, Bob-Bob, they run into trouble. A survey crew wants the spear thrower because it could put a stop to their boss's plans to mine the forest, thus making the forest a protected site. Moody teens, theft and a story of strength, Strong Heart will take you on a journey that you didn't know you needed.

While reading Strong Heart, I felt like I was being wrapped up in a soft blanket waiting to watch a good movie. I can't put my finger on it but something about this book pulled me in, and once I was in, I never wanted to put the book down. The author does a fantastic job of telling the story from four different point-of-views. Moving between Sarah, Tom, William, and Myra was seamless, and I was never lost or confused during the transition. The only downside was the ending it wasn't what I was expecting, and I can't go into detail about it without giving away the book. Nonetheless, despite having a slow pace and a less than climatic ending, the book was great.

I only found two grammatical errors towards the end of the book. The editors, whoever they are, are very good at their job, and the errors never caused any distraction, nor did they take away from the book. Finding no errors at the beginning of the book, almost caused me to miss the two errors at the end of the book.

Since I loved this book, and the way it made me feel while reading it, which is very hard to explain, I am going to rate Strong Heart, by Charlie Sheldon 4 out of 4 stars. The magic of Olympic National Park and the surrounding areas pulled me in, making me feel like I was strong enough to do anything or to endure anything that came my way.

As for my recommendation, I would recommend this book to the 18 and older crowd for some strong adult language and violent content. The book moves at a steady pace that is not to slow, or to fast. If you are the type that likes to curl up with a good book on a rainy or cold day, then this book is for you. What Strong Heart teaches us is that sometimes people and events happen to us or come to us when we least expect it, and sometimes it all works out for the better.

Strong Heart
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Amy+++'s review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”