Review by Purbali -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Purbali
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purbali.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Review by Purbali -- Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Purbali »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Gringo" by Dan "Tito" Davis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

TITLE- Gringo
AUTHOR- Peter Conti
GENRE- Thriller
My rating is 3 out of 4

Gringo is a memoir of the drug mafia from South Dakota- Dan "Tito" Davis. Dan narrates his life story- from how he got involved in the drug system to his journey to the top of the chain. Life takes a turn when he decides to leave everything behind and have a fresh start after serving thirty years in prison. He gets caught up in another drug scandal and this time instead of giving himself up to the cops he decides to become a fugitive.

The story next narrates his journey as a fugitive which takes him around the many palaces, across countries and he comes across varied people and culture. Focusing on his journey the author has done exceptionally well in capturing varied cultures and traditions of America. The readers are exposed to the world that lives beyond the so called well cultured class- the world which lives on a daily high of drugs and recklessness.

The story inspite of being a memoir is a bone chilling experience- from the twist and turns to the way our protagonist navigates around his way through life during this time as a fugitive shows his headstrong attitude and his willingness to live a life away from the shackles of drugs- his attempt at redemption. The story takes the readers on a journey of uncertainty, with beautiful deatiled events- the narration speaks a lot about not only the characters but their circumstances as well.

The writing style is gripping, not giving away more than is required at the time, with vivid descriptions on not only the past life of the protagonist but the present as well. There are revelations at every turn- though it's a memoir it seems more of fiction- the readers can feel that how such kind of a life is even possible. A very difficult aspect of the reality is written down with such ease that the readers will be awesome by it.

The only fault in the story is the narration somewhere falls flat in the middle yet to pick up again. The book as a whole is very engaging, thrilling and very informative. The feeling of living life on the edge is a welcome feeling for every thriller lovers- hence this is one book i would suggest is for every person who loves thrillers. The protagonist is endearing and repelling at the same time, the best part of the story being the abrupt end- which signifies the uncertainty of life as a whole- exactly the thing that was required to give this book a touch of reality.

I would suggest every thriller lover out there- just go ahead and pick this book up, you will be blown away by this- one of the best thrillers and crime related books I have ever come across.

Gringo
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Purbali's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

I want to add that this book is only for a mature reader. I also thought of suggesting it to those who love James Bond and gangster themed literature. Thanks for the review.
Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

I thought of suggesting this book to those who love JamesBond and gangster themed literature. Also, want to mention that it is only for a mature reader. Thanks for an interesting review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”