Review by phalpin9 -- Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
phalpin9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-phalpin9.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Review by phalpin9 -- Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by phalpin9 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mistress Suffragette" by Diana Forbes.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The author takes you on a journey in the life of Penelope Stanton in the year 1893. This is a significant year for both the American economy ("The Panic" took place, affecting the banking industry) and the women's suffrage movement. The made displays Penelope's growth from a society girl to an independent feminist in a time when women were just discovering their true potential. The transition is not an easy one for her, but she shows her true character and adaptability, and proves to be the ultimate feminist (even with her qualms about initially joining “The Movement”). In fact, one scene proves to be particularly powerful as Penelope is assaulted by a man she is seeing, and is able to defend herself. Though it is uncharacteristic for a woman of her time, she is able to react to a situation and respond accordingly.

The narrative allows you to truly be transported into her time, and you experience what she goes through in professional and personal pursuits. You really get to experience her life in that critical moment, especially given the historical backdrop of the story. As an avid reader of historical fiction, I truly appreciate not only a different time period than most, but also a different perspective on the era.

As a modern woman, I can appreciate, and even relate, to Penelope as I reflect on my time as a young woman of her age. It really helps put into perspective how far young women have come, and the rights they have earned thanks to the fight of the suffragettes.

She faces similar flights in her personal life as young women of today, whether to obey her parents or venture with her close friend Lucinda. She takes a risk, an even larger one for a woman of her time, and it somehow pays off. Penelope’s journey is worth it, and you find yourself rooting for her ultimate happiness. She ends up having it all, and in the most unexpected way possible.

She displays strength and, though flawed, is an excellent role model for both her younger sister Lydia and young readers of this book. She really shows that following your heart will allow you to accomplish everything you want in life, and perhaps lead you on a path you never thought possible.

I highly recommend this book, and may read it again. It's enjoyable and a fast read, but is certainly relatable to any young woman today.

Mistress Suffragette
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like phalpin9's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”