Review by leanne_brown17 -- The Legacy of Job's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
leanne_brown17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leanne-brown17.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Review by leanne_brown17 -- The Legacy of Job's Wife

Post by leanne_brown17 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Legacy of Job's Wife" by Cynthia Koelker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in ancient times, The Legacy of Job's Wife is a tale told from the perspective of a girl named Ix'ises. Her fate is to marry and spend her life with the honourable biblical figure, Job. Bonded since her birth, the two are easy childhood friends and share a closeness carried on throughout their youth. With the adventures and responsibilities of young adulthood beckoning, Ix'ises and Job embark upon a path that they never dreamed could be possible. After tragedy strikes, devastation and fear transform not only the couple, but the community at large. Has God forsaken his humble servants, and if so, what meaning could be left in a life devoid of faith?

It was truly a pleasure to read this book. It has been carefully crafted; the author strikes a lovely balance between in-depth storytelling and movement of the plot. Her prose often reads like poetry, adding a layer of decadence to a story already rich in detail. She uses a variety of colourful vocabulary, but not so much that it is overwhelming or too challenging. Also, there is just the right amount of religious undertone, leading the characters and the reader to contemplate God without preaching that they do so. Both novice and seasoned readers have something to gain from this novel, and are sure to enjoy it.

I also enjoyed the fact that we get to witness Ix'ises' life in full. We know her in birth and we know her well into old age. She experiences a vast array of emotions throughout her years, and I thought the author accurately depicted her human nature in all of her stages of life. Seeing her complete journey allows one to view their own life more clearly, finding hope in the possibility that their suffering is not in vain.

If I have to pick out something that I didn't like about the book, it would only be that I had trouble figuring out how to pronounce the name "Ix'ises." It is not a familiar type of spelling in English, so I found it difficult to imagine how it should sound. I often stumbled over it while I was reading, but eventually settled on something like "ish-EYE-sees."

Without hesitation, I rate The Legacy of Job's Wife a full 4 out of 4 stars. It is a relatable drama that could be classified as romance, young adult fiction, Christian fiction or general fiction. Because of its many facets, I would recommend it to people of all ages, those who are curious about religion, and anyone who is struggling to get through a loss.

The Legacy of Job's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like leanne_brown17's review? Post a comment saying so!
"If you are not willing to be a fool, you can't become a master." - Jordan B. Peterson
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I'm with you there.The pronounciation of Ix'ises is a real tongue twister! The book sounds inspiring. Thanks for the thought- provoking review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Muskan Afzal-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-afzal.html
Latest Review: Shadow Eclipse Voyage by E. M. Gale

Post by Muskan Afzal- »

Readers are encouraged to take up this book by this review. We appreciate your evaluation of this book and sharing its advantages with everyone.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”