Review by Ice dragon -- The Cartel Crusher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Review by Ice dragon -- The Cartel Crusher

Post by Ice dragon »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Cartel Crusher" by Dan E. Hendrickson.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Cartel Crusher by Dan E. Hendrickson

Marnia Gonzalez, daughter of a late Mexican president, has suffered tragedy from the infamous Cartels that plague Mexico. Inspired by a brilliant captain that once saved her life, she defies the standards of a male-dominated, corrupt system and raises above the rest to crush the notorious power figures that infest her country.

Book two of The Last Enemy series follows Marnia's rapid ascent through the military to join the Anti-Cartel Task Force, to tackle the daunting task of destroying the criminal underground. Join her as she unweaves a network of paedophile rings, faces betrayal and loss, to become The Cartel Crusher.

The book opens with a prologue of the events from Book one The Good Fight, which brings us, the reader, smoothly in touch with the character's background and running storyline of the trilogy. You wouldn't be completely out of touch with the plot of this book if you haven't read the prequel, yet it does spice things up for the audience well enough for the beginning, and I would recommend checking it out if you become a fan of the books.

This is a crime novel that falls more under the category of a drama than thriller, as it didn't provide for many thrills. I think the ideal audience is for someone looking for a light read to pass the time. I found the story to be rather slow-paced and as an avid fan of the more hardcore crime genre, the story didn't appeal to me. If you are looking for something that will really get your blood pumping, give this one a pass.

I found the book to be very well written and the plot was well executed. It was a let down to see bad editing, as it lets the author down, as it would appear that he has talent. I continued reading as the plot was interesting enough to hold me to the story more than out of great passion.

I really jumped at this book as the original blurb sold me to the main character, Marnia. I was expecting to experience another kickass female, fighting tooth and nail against a seemingly undefeatable monster, which metaphorically would be the criminal underworld. This flopped, a lot, as Marnia is rather boring. She is portrayed as a golden girl; beautiful and excelling in an environment where the odds would be stacked against her, which aroused my feminist interest, but that was about it.

There wasn't enough antithesis with the crime world to allow for character development. Normally within this genre, there should be challenges; morally, mentally and physically and that was completely absent from this book. Marnia seems to just float through the story, being constantly described as perfect, which is fine, it just doesn't make for a good crime novel. In a culture where we are getting a steady increase in strong, fiery female role models, this character's flame wouldn't be spotted.

The author's choice in the location of Mexico sets the standard high when setting a crime novel, again I had the expectation for vile, ruthless antagonists committing the deplorable; as part of my crime checklist. Unfortunately, I couldn't tick it and that made me sad. The "bad guys" do a lot of chatting and planning. There is the obligatory body count and mild violence, nothing graphic, so here's a sad face. :cry: It left a lot lacking for the bloodthirsty.

The novel does introduce some very attractive characters and a love story, but there was no sexual chemistry and action, The whole thing was very soft and coy. Having not checked off many ticks on my crime novel checklist, I rate this 2 out of 4 stars.

The Cartel Crusher
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ice dragon's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like a great premise, but not so good execution. Good review.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I have thought this book would be interesting, but I appreciate reading your review and knowing about some of the problems. It definitely sounds a little vanilla for a Cartel drama. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I haven't had the opportunity to read the prequel to this book but it's a relief to know that it won't affect the reading experience even if I start out with this book.

Great review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I was actually put off reading this book by the scary-looking woman on the front, but it seems in this instance one cannot judge a book by it's cover. Thanks for your honest review!
Ice dragon

Post by Ice dragon »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 00:26 I was actually put off reading this book by the scary-looking woman on the front, but it seems in this instance one cannot judge a book by it's cover. Thanks for your honest review!
You really made me laugh there, the artist's style is rather strange!
Thanks for commenting1
Ice dragon

Post by Ice dragon »

Samy Lax wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 22:48 I haven't had the opportunity to read the prequel to this book but it's a relief to know that it won't affect the reading experience even if I start out with this book.

Great review!
Thank you! The prequel did sound more exciting than this book.
Ice dragon

Post by Ice dragon »

Eva Darrington wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 16:45 I have thought this book would be interesting, but I appreciate reading your review and knowing about some of the problems. It definitely sounds a little vanilla for a Cartel drama. Thanks for the great review.
I need a lot of "spice" in my crime books!
Thanks for commenting.
Ice dragon

Post by Ice dragon »

teacherjh wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 11:06 It sounds like a great premise, but not so good execution. Good review.
Thank you!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I see it like you do - a kick-ass Marnia in a violent, lawless, terror gang environment would have really flown! I have so enjoyed reading your analytical review. Your verdict resonates with me.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It sounds like a good book. Thank you for the honest points. I think I might try it.
:tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”