Review by LegebdaryCrole -- The Legacy of Job's Wife

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LegebdaryCrole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-legebdarycrole.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Review by LegebdaryCrole -- The Legacy of Job's Wife

Post by LegebdaryCrole »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Legacy of Job's Wife" by Cynthia Koelker.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Before I begin my review, I'd like to state my intention. I will be reviewing The Legacy of Job's Wife as purely a work of fiction. I endeavor to not mention, comment on, or express my opinion of the Bible. I do this so that anyone unfamiliar with the Bible can approach my review without feeling lost or preached to. That said, I encourage anyone who feels that The Legacy of Job's Wife speaks to them to check out the Bible. It could very well change your life.

Of all of God's children, Job stands above all others for his kindness, purity of heart, and steadfast faith. He is respected, admired, and beloved by all who know him. Of all who have that privilege, Ix'ises, Job's childhood friend and sweetheart, loves him the most. Together they share a bond of heart and soul. Their love and faith will be tested by none other than the very almighty God that they worship. Their suffering a part of his plan, one so complex that no one could possibly comprehend. Though many know her husband's story, not many know The Legacy of Job's Wife.

Refreshingly, the best part of The Legacy of Job's Wife is the main focus of the plot; the passionate romance between Job and Ix'ises. The hungry desire that Ix'ises has for her adoring husband is charmingly relatable. If you're anything like me then you'll be begging the love-struck girl to confess her feelings to the man of her dreams, who, coincidentally, struggles with the very same problem. The depth of Ix'ses heart will make you swoon for her as Job did. I applaud the author, Cynthia J. Koelker, for putting so much complexity into the love between the two main characters.

Though The Legacy of Job's Wife is focused, rightfully so, on Ix'ises life, of which Job is a large part, many other characters share the spotlight with them. Ix'ises younger brother, B'nahram, in particular, has a wonderful character arc. The numerous characters with enchanting stories and personalities will draw you into their world. Appropriately, no one overstays their welcome or steals the focus from the main couple. These characterizations are a strong part of the book and should not be overlooked. You will smile when they prosper and, as is inevitable in a famous tale of loss, cry when they fall.

It is Ix'ises and Job's happiness and joy that will bring you into the story, but it is their sorrow and pain that will draw you into their lives. Though the crux of the plot, it is in their pain that the weakest part of The Legacy of Job's Wife hides. The horrors of some disasters are glossed over while others are given more attention than they deserve. Though executed with excellence, I could not stop myself from groaning whenever certain issues would not pass in a timely manner. A relatively minor flaw, but one worth mentioning.

I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed The Legacy of Job's Wife. Romance is not a genre I have ever enjoyed, a trend this book bucks. I connected with Ix'ises and felt what she felt, leaving me awestruck with how invested I became in her tale. If you enjoy romances then you will like this book, something I feel can be said of fans of historical fiction as well. There's a lot to like about The Legacy of Job's Wife. That's why I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

The Legacy of Job's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LegebdaryCrole's review? Post a comment saying so!
leanne_brown17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leanne-brown17.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by leanne_brown17 »

I was also surprised at how much I liked this book, since I very rarely choose to read a romance novel. However, the premise of the story drew me in, and the writing was executed so well that I couldn't help but enjoy myself. Thanks for a very thoughtful review.
"If you are not willing to be a fool, you can't become a master." - Jordan B. Peterson
Muskan Afzal-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muskan-afzal.html
Latest Review: A Place Under the Sun by Luis Urtueta

Post by Muskan Afzal- »

Readers are encouraged to take up this book by this review. We appreciate your evaluation of this book and sharing its advantages with everyone.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”