Review by Power Onyango -- Days of the Giants

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Power Onyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-power-onyango.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Review by Power Onyango -- Days of the Giants

Post by Power Onyango »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Days of the Giants" by RJ Petrella.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The novel The Days of the Giants is a fictional novel by R.J Petrella. The book's title is metaphorical in nature. Giants are defined therein to be the founding doctors of the Boston City hospital whose primary concern was to provide healthcare to the citizens. They are the doctors who had the interests of the citizens at hand. However, first into the 1990s, things have change and medicine is no longer what it used to be. The selfless nature of doctors is gone. They are driven by money. It is the main consideration in choosing their specialty. One adamantly is quoted saying, " look, if money was the main reason we went into medical school, why shouldn't it be the main reason for choosing a specialty?" Well he was honest at least. If you were a doctor, would you not be embarrassed by such comments? What happened to job Satisfaction?

Characters like Slater and Don Lindy are the few remaining giants of today's world. They are willing to put their job on the line in order to protect the medical profession. Hospitals are under threat of being auctioned by business men. The proposed mergers of Boston city hospital and Academy hospital is solely for business reasons.

I loved Slater's character growth. He transitions from a hopeless alcoholic into some enigmatic medical personnel. He is considered as one of the Giants remaining at Boston city hospital. He sees medicine as a selfless profession. Something that required genuine care of the sick. Watching him fight against the proposed hospital merger was fantastic. He is a real giant. He was an intern at Boston City Hospital at the time of the proposed merger of the hospital. I think, medical students can learn a lot from his personality.

I recommend this novel to all drug addicts in need of a professional help. its content is a pure masterclass and would aid in the recovery process. The therapeutic guide is excellent. Person trying to break from any sort of addiction can also read this novel.

The book is well written and has no typo errors. It was exceptionally well edited. Bravo! to the author. I would rate this novel at 4 out of 4 stars. I have no genuine reason for deducting any star. The books content was just excellent. The plot development is well captured and brings out the author's real intention. It was an excellent book. I had no fault with the book content. A manifest proof that the author thoroughly proofread this book. I could read many pages at once and still long for more. That was just great.

Days of the Giants
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Power Onyango's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”