Review by Erika Thomas -- Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Review by Erika Thomas -- Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne

Post by Erika Thomas »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Murder in Memory" by Mike Thorne.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne follows the residents of the small town of Harper in southern United States in December of 1983. This story is about the murder of several people in and around a college campus, as well as the efforts made by the police department to apprehend the murderer. The reader follows the unnamed killer, the chief of police, a college therapist, and a college professor, along with the people who are killed during this short time period. The reader is left to decide for themselves who they think the killer is, up until the time that it is revealed for the sake of the storytelling. The reader is taken through the disturbing thought process of the killer as he murders his victims, leading the reader towards the solution of the case. An intriguing twist takes the novel into unforeseen territory.

What I liked most about this book was the twist. Without giving anything away, it definitely makes this book stand apart from the rest. Aside from that, I liked the narration style. Thorne follows different characters in the story, giving just enough information for most readers to be able to piece together who the killer is before it is revealed. It gives a distinct pleasure to figure out a mystery before it is uncovered by the chief of police or revealed by the author. Thorne keeps the reader guessing how it all works together, though, even after knowing who had committed the crimes. The author did an excellent job of stringing the reader along, perfect for a mystery novel.

What I liked least about this book was the confusing transition a few times from character to character. I enjoyed getting certain pieces of information from different characters, but occasionally throughout the book, it was difficult to know who I was following at the time. It would sometimes take a page or more to figure out which character was being followed at the time. Trying to figure out who was speaking would take me out of the story. Once I figured out who it was, I found myself needing to go back and reread what they had said, since it now gave it more meaning.

I give Murder in Memory 3 out of 4 stars. I would not give it four stars, because of the aforementioned dislikes. I would not give it two stars because it was still an excellent read. It was clearly well-written, well thought out, and professionally edited. I enjoyed reading this book, and I found myself unable to put it down. I devoured this story in one sitting, and it is over two hundred pages long. This was helped along by the fact that there were no editing errors that I could find; it was clearly excellently edited.

I would recommend this book for someone who wants a relatively easy, fun read. I would also recommend this book for someone who is into mystery novels, especially ones with psychological factors. I would not recommend this book for someone who is easily disturbed by gory crime, or anyone who does not want to hear sexual assault described in detail. This book is excellent, but it does follow the mind of a disturbed killer, and that could easily offend or turn off many people.

Murder in Memory
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Erika Thomas's review? Post a comment saying so!
MalMartin
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malmartin.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by MalMartin »

Thank you for the review! I am reading this right now. I will look out for those confusing character transitions. I am glad there isn't a lot of grammatical issues. Thanks again!
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

MalMartin wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 01:56 Thank you for the review! I am reading this right now. I will look out for those confusing character transitions. I am glad there isn't a lot of grammatical issues. Thanks again!
Thank you so much for reading my review! I'm glad you're reading this book, it is quite good! Feel free to let me know what you think when you're done!
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like such a well-constructed and exciting read! I love that there is a myriad of characters in a mystery novel, since it keeps me guessing. Thanks for the lovely review!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I recently downloaded this book and am looking forward to reading it. Don't know if I will finish it in one sitting though! Kudos to you!! Your summary of the book really has me intrigued and eager get started on this book. Thanks for an excellent review.
Zhariah
Favorite Book: The Chimera Vector
Currently Reading: Race to Refuge
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhariah.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Zhariah »

I became intrigued with this book when it was the BOTD recently, and after reading your wonderful review I want to read it even more. I love that you devoured the book in one sitting. I often do this with books, then get strange looks from people for finishing a book so quickly. Obviously, these people have never gotten so engrossed in a book before, that the result of the world just fades away.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Hmm.. I do love psychological mystery/thrillers especially with plot twists. However, I 'm not sure about the sex crimes part. It's a maybe for me, but it does sound well written.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

I really enjoy psychological thrillers. This is a particularly unique story line that I think I would enjoy. Wonderful review. I like that you enjoyed the novel but gave the reader fair warning about the confusing shifts in perspective. Even though some readers may find it kind of cheesy, I actually like when the chapter numbers are replaced by the name of the person the reader follows in that particular chapter.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

Definitely, something I'd love to read. It's so hard to find mystery books that keep readers in suspense till the end. So, I'm glad to find something like that. I just hope I can read the full book and not skip to the end to find the killer. Thanks for the great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”