Review by Nusrat_Shabnam_ -- Demon Freaks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Review by Nusrat_Shabnam_ -- Demon Freaks

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Demon Freaks" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Demon Freaks, a novel by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison was a riveting read. I don’t know which genre is the best description for this. I think horror suits it best. The little bit of fantasy that it carried charmed me.

What would you do when you find the Demon’s blade? What would you do when you see weird demon-like people in front of your eyes? The slaughter brothers witnessed such things. Their friends did too. 

Ron and Bing, the two slaughter twins cannot be called 'twins'. They differed from each other both physically and mentally. But one thing they had in common was their hatred for their history teacher Mr. Brom. The brothers owned a band having a drummer named Meat and a keyboard player named Kaitlyn. Both the brothers had a crush on Kaitlyn. One night they went on Meat’s cabin out of town to study for their exams and enjoy a little. What they witness in the cabin when the light goes out is beyond any description. They notice their history teacher Brom in a horrendous state. Brom entering the cabin tries to kill them with a dagger. And this dagger was the Demon’s blade. This blade could control the person’s mind who for once took it to hand. A lot of mysteries unfold when the blade controls Meat’s head. 

The book was bewildering. It felt as if I was reading just another version of Harry Potter. The author developed the characters of Mr. Brom, Ron, Bing, Meat and that of Kaitlyn perfectly. Their characters’ description was so good that their personality seemed to be crystal clear. I mostly liked Ron. He was full of adventurous instincts. He was like a ‘dare-to-do-anything’ kind of person. Bing seemed boring. The character of Mr. Brom was funny and hideous at the same time. Meat and Kaitlyn provided a mysterious touch since all the mysteries unfold while saving their lives.

There was nothing dislikable. Character, plot, and, other things were relatable. Choosing Golfers’ clubhouse as the place for demonic things was appropriate.

I didn't notice any grammatical errors. So, I provide the book with a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. Since everything was perfect from the beginning to the end, so it deserves this rating. People who are a fan of fantasy fiction, horror fiction, and all things demonic should try it. People who feel offended by such things should not bother about reading it.  

Demon Freaks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Nusrat_Shabnam_'s review? Post a comment saying so!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Horror and all things demonic is not my cup of tea. Thanks for the enlightening review all the same.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I reviewed this book myself a while back and it was definitely a memorable read. Great to see a book about demonic things with such a sense of humour. Enjoyed your review.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

This book sounds so interesting. Especially with the golf ball on the cover. Great review!
:tiphat:
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I like demon stuff and i think i would love to give this book a try. Thanks alot for a great review.☺
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I enjoyed the humor that was interjected here and there. It was one of the best books I've read in a while. I appreciate your thoughts on the book. Glad your enjoyed it as much as I did.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MalMartin
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malmartin.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by MalMartin »

I love demonic horror stories. Those are my favorite! This is the first review I have seen of this book. It sounds amazing. Thanks for the review.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I love a book with well-developed characters, and this seems to be exactly it! The Demon's Sword definitely seems like something not to be trifled with. Thanks for the review!
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

This book's genre and theme may not be what I am after at present. However, its good that you've noted its similarities with Rowling's stories, which I love because of the metaphorical significance of their characters and other details. Thank you for the interesting review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

Mostly the twins are alike each other in their structure, form and nature in the common world but in this story it seems like they are naturally different from each other. you have chosen a good topic for the review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am a great lover of horror and fantasy. This will be a great read for me. Thanks for the nice review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I like the different elements of this book like bands, fantasy etc.

Thank you for the detailed review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”