Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- The Sword Swallower an...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Review by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes -- The Sword Swallower an...

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson could very well be a study about what a man could do when his dream is given the reins of his journey through life. Both Duke Reynolds and Gary Robinson --- the former as the sword swallower, and the latter as the Chico kid --- think from an early age that life could be as pleasurable as one would make it. Duke resented authority and the constraints of home. Taking matters into his own hands, he took pleasure in smoking cigarettes at the age of thirteen. Then, he ventured out into the world outside of his uncomfortable home at fifteen by joining the circus. His foremost act is swallowing simultaneously five 30-inch swords with only the handles left protruding above his lips. And he was well-applauded in his performances, great for the ego, albeit with detrimental effects. The rigors of circus life required him, along with the other circus crew, to take the drug methamphetamine to maintain their stamina in 18 to 22 hours of work every day. This made him addicted to the substance, compounding his addiction to alcohol.

While as for Gary Robinson, his life is a hedonistic existence of drinks and parties until he met Duke Reynolds who initiated him into methamphetamine use and dazzled him with his tattoos, and lifestyle. It seems apparent that Gary found a mentor and idol in Duke. What's in this relationship for both of them?

I consider it a touch of genius how the author has juggled the chronology of events in the story.
He flaunted first the highlights to get the reader hooked before proceeding to the nitty-gritty of the lives of the characters. It came as no surprise to me that I got to know more about the genesis of Duke Reynolds in the chapters pertaining to the Chico kid rather than on the portion devoted to the sword swallower. The intrinsic aspects of Duke, his mores and mental outlook, are herein exposed better. In fact, I have some misgivings for these, popularity-wise. The outspoken atheistic views of Duke might be an affront to the religious sensibilities of some people.

There is one thing I delightfully noted. In some instances, well-placed recollections give us glimpses on the life of Duke, e.g., the flashbacks during the lengthy bus rides between show engagements. I found this ploy really clever. Otherwise, these back stories if clumped altogether would bore the reader, or derail the storyline.

On the issue about tattoos, that although it seemed to had gained some foothold among the progressive members of mainstream society, it is safe to consider that the majority still holds the view that tattooing is mayhem. That’s the Theosophical viewpoint. I have observed that the stigma attached to tattoos still exists as it did decades before when tattoos identified mainly with felons and convicts, although it seemed in vogue with sailors and army men, as well. On the medical aspect, it is feared that the ink used could be carcinogenic.

I am gravely concerned by the way information about meth is disseminated in the novel. Nothing is said to dissuade possible takers of this drug. Instead, Duke referred to it as his medicine. I opine it is not enough that Duke issues a caveat about meth not to be smoked, but rather to be sniffed at. There should be even just a token warning that meth could wipe out the inhibitions, and spike up the pain threshold --- with grave consequences for the user. This could be what enabled Gary to do despicable acts of public nudity, or of letting people staple money bills on his chest while exuding surreal endurance to pain.

I, therefore, recommend readership of the novel mainly to responsible adults who love the genre Other Fiction. In the event young adults opt to read, they should do so under parental guidance. That is, if there is such classification as Parental Guidance in books, as they do in movies. My rating stands at 4 out of 4 stars despite the few typographical errors found.

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ReyvrexQuestor Reyes's review? Post a comment saying so!
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I agree with you on your stand point toward this read, as well as, I admire your clear view on the information provided about tattoos and it's social stigma. Thank you for your valuable review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 08:39 I agree with you on your stand point toward this read, as well as, I admire your clear view on the information provided about tattoos and it's social stigma. Thank you for your valuable review!
Thanks for commenting. I need supportive opinions to feel I am not alone.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Though I did not enjoy the book, I have enjoyed reading your take on it. I see how one would need some unconventional support to get through an 18-22 hour work shift. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
JuliusOnyango
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusonyango.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by JuliusOnyango »

I wondered about the life of Gary and Duke. They lived for the day. While that idea sounds interesting, I don't know if I can do it. Great review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”