Review by Lunastella -- Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Review by Lunastella -- Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by melissy370 »

Some of the book sounds appealing to me like the handwriting analysis. However, the sexual content is not for me, and I would pass on this one. Thanks for your wonderful review.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

This review is very clean neat and detailed. I like the points that you jotted out. The pros and cons of the book is well explained.
---
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I don't think I have ever read a book with so many unique characters that you mentioned, such as graphologists, palm readers, and hypnotists. It is interesting that the details given in the book were all relevant to the story.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 00:11 I couldn't agree more with your rating. One needs to learn to be sensitive in addressing deeply disturbing topic, not matter how brutally true they may be. Thank you for your broad details, it helped me to decide if I wanted to read this or not.
I'm glad I was able to help. Definitely, some topics need a much more complex and sensitive approach. Thank you for your comment, Sahani.
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Caylie_Cat wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 00:34 This is a thoughtful review of a very complex book - well done! It sounded very appealing to me until you mentioned the badly-handled sexual abuse issues, which I would definitely find off-putting and unnecessary.
It is. While we definitely need to address these topics, some details are just unnecessary and disturbing. Thank you for your comment.

Cotwani wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 12:48 You had me until I got to the point on insensitivity and lack of realism towards child sexual abuse. Sobriety and balance are important checks when dealing with deeply emotive issues in society. Great review!
I think if an author is going to approach such a sensitive topic it required a much more complex and sensitive approach. It's a pity because the author seems to be very talented and the story is well developed but, after reading this book, I don't feel like following up on his work.
Thanks for commenting!

fernsmom wrote: 15 Dec 2018, 22:49 Well written review! :tiphat:
Most of the book sounded good to me going by your great review. The child abuse mentioned that was insensitive would put me off. The rest of the book though does sound good if the author would have maybe not went about it in the way he did.
Yes, its all in the details. The topic in itself needs to be addressed and the story could've been amazing but it needed a different, much more sensitive and complex approach.
Thanks for commenting!

Julie Green wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 15:49 I just finished this book. I had noticed that you had posted a review, but I deliberately avoided reading it until after I posted mine, to see how our reviews compared. And, guess what, we both gave it the same rating, for the sane reason! Great minds! :D
Great minds... :P
I'm so sorry I took so long to answer! Could you link to your review? I'd love to read your perspective.

Shrabastee wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 03:18 A very thoughtful review! I have previously ignored the book, but after reading the review, I want to give it a read. The myriad characters and the extreme care given to the plot development sound interesting. However, I wish the author had taken that care while dealing with a sensitive issue. Thanks for the honest review, Andrea!
It's definitely a very well-developed and original plot with very interesting characters. If you can overlook the issues I mentioned, it's quite a good read. Thank you for commenting, Sahani.

Sushan wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 19:37 I love books that carry many subplots, which are seemingly unconnected, but finally comes into light as a single plot. Nice review. Thank you 👍👍
It takes a lot of talent and hard work to create such complicated subplots! If you enjoy this kind of stories, this one's for you. Thank you for commenting.

LV2R wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 07:57 I don't think I have ever read a book with so many unique characters that you mentioned, such as graphologists, palm readers, and hypnotists. It is interesting that the details given in the book were all relevant to the story.
Me either. Saying the characters are interesting and quirky is an understatement. It must take a lot of talent and hard work to create such a complicated story without leaving any loose ends. Thanks for your comment, Sara.

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 08:13 This is clearly a complex work; your thoughtful review really does it justice. I'm most intrigued that it features palmistry and graphology experts.
It presents a very interesting approach if you're into these topics. I had no idea how accurate or even scientific these disciplines could be. Thanks for your comment!

melissy370 wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 20:20 Some of the book sounds appealing to me like the handwriting analysis. However, the sexual content is not for me, and I would pass on this one. Thanks for your wonderful review.
The approach to graphology is definitely interesting, especially because the author is, indeed, a handwriting expert. But I totally understand your decision to pass on it. Thank you for your kind comment.

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 27 Dec 2018, 20:43 At first I was going to pass putting this on my list but I came upon it multiple times. It was probably due to the title. As I read your review the various characters involved intrigued me, it isn't very often that a palm reader or hypnotist is in a book. I love mysteries with subplots and unusual characters. Thanks for the recommendation.
The characters are definitely quirky and interesting and the subplots are very neatly weaven together. I think you could enjoy it! Thanks for your comment!

Bavithra M wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 01:02 This review is very clean neat and detailed. I like the points that you jotted out. The pros and cons of the book is well explained.
Thank you for your kind words!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”