Review by Sahani Nimandra -- The Sword Swallower and a C...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- The Sword Swallower and a C...

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid" by Gary Robinson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On 1, 2, 3, Go!
We are coming live from NBC studios.
Good Evening, Folks!

At first, I harbored a different impression towards this read, but I was so wrong to judge without reading it. It's about an extraordinary meeting between two people that lead to their lifelong learning and friendship. In our today's segment, folks, we have Gary Robinson and his book, The Sword Swallower and A Chico Kid. Gary, it's my pleasure to have you on our show. I have read your book, and your story is a fascinating one; so tell us more about your book.

Hello Everyone! Inspired by my friendship with an old, circus sideshow, sword swallower named Duke Reynolds (Captain Don Leslie), I decided to write my story. It's a fictional account on the events that took place in our lives. The background details provided by Duke about his friend's tattoo shop, Ink Johnson’s tattoo parlor, is actually about Mr. G of Triangle Tattoo & Museum in Fort Bragg, California.

The layout of my book has a preface, a prologue and 32 chapters, divided into 3 parts. Part 1, The Sword Swallower's Journey, concentrates on my friend, Duke Reynolds, a carefree, bad boy known for his tattoos and sword swallowing skills. He was a man who tried to reach the impossible, but everything changed after his Tv show performance. Part 2, The Destructive Path of a Chico Kid, concentrates on me, Gary Robinson, a self-accomplished university student, yet emotionally challenged. I partied all night, had a string of one-night stands, drugs, and moreover, wrong sort of friends. After graduating, I left my friends and moved to Chico. I lost my job on many occasions due to my addiction, but everything changed after I met Duke. Part 3, An Eccentric Friendship and Unconventional Mentoring, concentrates on the lessons that Duke taught me about life. He gave me a reason to become a man with a purpose. Through him, I found my lost happiness. Thanks to him, I found my passion for writing, and here I'm, a successful author. So what do you think about my work?

Well! It's fascinating to be a part of Gary's character development at every step. Gary's struggles reflect upon the hope for a second chance in anyone's life. It's not surprising that the protagonists understood each other since they came from the same background. It's impressive to see how Duke became a positive zeal to Gary, such as,
He taught me the importance of living and the power of change (p. 388).
I like the way you, Gary, challenge your reader using your characters. Certain remarks are well worth noting, folks, such as,
A fact has no punishment. It offers no reward. It's just a fact. It has no fear of being investigated. A fact does not claim to be sacred, holy, or inspired. It simply claims to be the truth and welcomes the investigation (p. 291).
I noted certain characters were channeled to highlight positivity and negativity, such as,
Matt never used his disability as an excuse to keep him from achieving great feats in his life (p. 245).

The layout of this plot has a clear direction making it easy for the reader. The flow of writing is tacit, and the use of language, at times, may contain inappropriate colloquialism, therefore, some readers may find it offensive. There were humorous moments in this read, but some statements associated with humor may prove to be racially insensitive, such as,
The radio host interrupted with a sound of agreement replied, “I would never consider getting a tattoo. I'm Jewish, and it's forbidden to desecrate or mutilate our body.” Ink shouted back in disapproval, “What the hell did you do with your foreskin? Carry it in your front pocket?” (p. 23).
There were surprising moments in this read, especially the ending of chapter twenty. The storyline is very descriptive, aiding the reader's imagination, such as,
Duke was lean and muscular with his sleeves rolled up on his white t-shirt, faded blue jeans, pomade hair, and tattooed body (p. 21).

The list of content isn't available, and the page numbers in the kindle ebook are inaccurate. The emotionally engaging nature made this a spot-on read. There were few grammatical and sentence structure errors noted, but nothing to disrupt a smooth reading experience. Some scenarios in this read were highly insensitive in which some readers may feel disgusted, such as,
I shouted, “Get the f*ck out of here, you sicko. I can’t believe you would consider having sex with a sheep!” (p. 217).

There is a bit of everything to make this read perfect, from grossly disgusting episodes to a heart rowing emotional play, and for this reason I wish to rate The Sword Shallower and A Chico Kid 4 out of 4 stars. This isn't a read for people who dislike the subject on drugs or alcohol, and who can't overlook dark and insensitive humor. Gary Robinson provides us with a great advice inspired by Duke's words:
“Whatever happened yesterday, in last year, at age five; They're all gone, son. All you have is today. All you are guaranteed is this moment. Listen to your heart! Fulfill your dreams” (p.284).
Through your book, I saw you, and your story inspired me to the core. I rather let you, my viewers, enjoy this read individually. It was a pleasure to have you on our show, Chico Kid! Thank you, Folks!

The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Just timely that you had this review published at the very same time that I was submitting mine. What a unique and readable review you had made. Thanks for sharing.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Sahani Nimandra

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 05:37 Just timely that you had this review published at the very same time that I was submitting mine. What a unique and readable review you had made. Thanks for sharing.
And thank you for commenting! I'm glad you found it unique and readable. :tiphat:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Wow! I absolutely love the unique format of your review. Moreover, it made me curious about the book itself.

Thank you for the lovely review, Sahani.
Sahani Nimandra

Kajori50 wrote: 09 Dec 2018, 10:09 Wow! I absolutely love the unique format of your review. Moreover, it made me curious about the book itself.

Thank you for the lovely review, Sahani.
Thank you so much! I'm glad my review aroused your curiosity toward this read. :tiphat:
Tihia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Tihia »

It's a good format of the review it makes me think that I did not read the whole book your page quotations reflect the great work you did on the book. kundos!
Sahani Nimandra

Tihia wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 01:25 It's a good format of the review it makes me think that I did not read the whole book your page quotations reflect the great work you did on the book. kundos!
Thank you so much! :tiphat:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

lol! I'm glad to have met Chico kid on the show! Though I didn't enjoy the book, I have enjoyed your take on it. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Sahani Nimandra

Cotwani wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 08:19 lol! I'm glad to have met Chico kid on the show! Though I didn't enjoy the book, I have enjoyed your take on it. Great review!
Lol! I'm glad you enjoyed my show, my loyal viewer. :wink: Stay tuned, there is more on the way! :tiphat:
Mary WhiteFace
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

I must say that if I had not already read and reviewed this book, you would have just convinced me to give it a try.

A review written as a talkshow interview is ingenious and entertaining. Great job. 💕
Sahani Nimandra

Tiny_Turtle wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 11:15 I must say that if I had not already read and reviewed this book, you would have just convinced me to give it a try.

A review written as a talkshow interview is ingenious and entertaining. Great job. 💕
Thank you so much! :tiphat:
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Despite the book being BOTM a couple of months ago, I must say that I have yet to get around to reading it. It seems like an truthful and emotional read, and I'm even more intrigued by this. Thanks for the detailed review, Sahani!
Sahani Nimandra

gen_g wrote: 11 Dec 2018, 05:45 Despite the book being BOTM a couple of months ago, I must say that I have yet to get around to reading it. It seems like an truthful and emotional read, and I'm even more intrigued by this. Thanks for the detailed review, Sahani!
Thank you for commenting. I'm my review intrigued you, gen-g. :tiphat:
MalMartin
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malmartin.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by MalMartin »

This sounds like such an interesting read. I know addiction can be hard. I hope they get through it. Thanks for the review.
Sahani Nimandra

MalMartin wrote: 12 Dec 2018, 02:19 This sounds like such an interesting read. I know addiction can be hard. I hope they get through it. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for commenting! :tiphat:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”