Review by Radiant3 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Review by Radiant3 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Radiant3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga's War written by Greg Kater is a historical war novel set during the later years of World War II. It is centered on the characters of Sergeant Jack O'Brien who is half Warramunga and Captain James Munro. Both men were part of the Australian Force fighting the pro-Nazi Vichy French in the Middle East. They met each other during a battle in the heights of the Wadi Damour in Beirut, July 1941. Then they were recruited as part of an Intelligence Unit to be stationed in Cairo, Egypt. Their goal was to infiltrate the operations of suspected German agents. Amidst the challenges of their tasks, there were a series of brutal rapes and murders in Cairo. Jacko and Jamie tried to help the investigating officer solve the mystery.

Eventually, the guys returned to Australia and were appointed to the Northern Commonwealth Investigation Service. Their first assignment led them on a hunt through the Australian countryside, in search of two men suspected of working for the Germans. The chase escalated when the officers learned that there was a gang of criminals passing through the towns and leaving behind a trail of robberies, kidnapping, and murder.

At first, I was a bit unsure about reading a historical war novel. This book is so much more. The plot was intricate and had a variety of themes. Yes, the story is centered on the war, but then it delves into so many other things. There was a nice mix of humor, intrigue, mystery, and romance which kept the story very entertaining. The scenes were well described and very realistic. The author did a really great job of describing the landscape of Australia. The high level of detail showed that it was obviously thoroughly researched. The grammar was excellent and the story seemed professionally edited.

A few times, the conversations and descriptions did feel a bit drawn out which slowed the momentum of the story. This did not take away from the quality of this book.

Overall, this is a very good novel. I gave this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. It can appeal to a wide cross-section of people because there were many different aspects to it. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy historical war stories with drama, espionage, and adventure. I would not recommend this for people who do not particularly like historical war stories.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like Radiant3's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I came across many reviews regarding this book and it is always good to see different aspects of views. Thanks for sharing yours 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Post by Radiant3 »

Sushan wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 19:25 I came across many reviews regarding this book and it is always good to see different aspects of views. Thanks for sharing yours 👍👍
:) Thank you.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

I recently read and reviewed the book too. While I enjoyed the different locations in the book and the humor in the story, I found it a little odd that as spies, they met their glamorous contacts at the same outdoor cafe every time in broad daylight and no one suspected anything!
Feyisayo akande
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Feyisayo akande »

As it is said in the review, I don't really like historical war novel but I like this . Have check some review on the book so I love it that is why I decide to check other review. I want to read this

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”