Review by nemichel -- Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nemichel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nemichel.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Review by nemichel -- Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by nemichel »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway 2" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway 2 is the gripping, action-packed sequel by Alex Fayman following Alex Fine as he uses his unique ability to travel through the internet and deals with the repercussions of his power.

This novel picks up exactly where the first one left off: with Alex at the private island “stolen” from a Russian criminal. But the Russian wants what belongs to him and hunts him relentlessly. Alex is forced to flee the island, and then also must give up his home and everything he owns in Los Angeles to avoid capture. He finds refuge in the birthplace of electroportation: Las Vegas. There, he claims a new identity and meets his future wife, Yana.

Alex and Yana drift through the first dozen years of their marriage in a drug-induced haze. But when Yana becomes pregnant, everything changes. They both use their excitement to climb out of the depths of addiction and are preparing to become parents. But just as they welcome their child into the world, Alex’s past catches up with them and tragedy strikes. Alex must then team up with the CIA, an unlikely ally considering the tumultuous past his father had with them. He is forced to make some tough decisions and do unspeakable things in order to protect himself and his family.

Alex Fayman did a great job at creating a sequel that is as fast-paced and exciting as the first, while continuing to develop Alex Fine as a character with depth and emotion. The book was easy to read, but hard to put down. I really enjoyed how Fayman started with Alex Fine imprisoned in the laboratory and then went back and retraced the events that led to this. There were so many unexpected twists and turns throughout the novel that it always keeps the reader wondering what is going to happen next.

The only aspect of this novel that I did not care for was that the author mostly just skimmed past the twelve-year period after Alex and Yana were married. It seemed a bit lazy to me, especially because although he wrote that they were deeply addicted to drugs, it only took one try for them both to get clean. If it had only been a couple of years that Fayman skipped, it wouldn’t have seemed like we were missing so much of the main character’s life.

Overall, I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, even with the time-lapse. There were only a limited number of grammatical and spelling errors, which could be easily looked past. I believe most adult science fiction readers would enjoy this novel. This is the second book in the Superhighway Trilogy series, so I am looking forward to seeing where the final book takes Alex Fine.

Superhighway 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like nemichel's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”