Review by sszb -- Uncle Yuta has an Adventure

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
sszb
Favorite Book: Dear Mr. Knightley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 170
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sszb.html
Latest Review: Uncle Yuta has an Adventure by Claire Youmans
Reading Device: B072V4HK9F

Review by sszb -- Uncle Yuta has an Adventure

Post by sszb »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Uncle Yuta has an Adventure" by Claire Youmans.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review of The Toki Girl and the Sparrow Boy Book 4 by Claire Youmans.

The book is set in Japan during the Meiji era. The fourth book of a series, the story is written in the third person and told through different characters.

First thing, first. I was scared that I have selected the wrong book. This is the fourth book of the series. I have not read the previous books. I find this book easy to read. It makes a great stand-alone novel. There is also a summary of the three previous books at the beginning of the novel along with a list of the characters. Summaries and the list helped me read the book conveniently.

The book is listed under the young adult genre. I think it is more suited under the children’s genre. This is a great book for kids. The book not only includes adventure, conflicts, and suspense but, it also provides information on Japanese culture and history.

I truly respected how Claire blended Japanese culture, folklore, fantasy, and history together to make a fascinating, yet a fictional story. The author fused the struggles that numerous Japanese individuals confronted during Western penetration into Japanese culture. I found the glossary at the end of the book to be useful in characterizing 2-3 Japanese words used in the book.

Additionally, I observed the characters to be well created and relatable. Claire gave enough information on the foundation of the characters, so it wasn't difficult to keep up with the story. Despite the fact that there was many characters. I didn't find any trouble to monitor any character. I likewise loved the delightful way the author put a lot of subtle elements into the characters and their identities. Each character had their own battles, yet they cooperated to conquer them.

Azuki, the main character, can transform into a Toki, a Japanese crested ibis, and her brother, Shota has the ability to transform into a sparrow. Together, they accompany Renko, the Dragon Princess. Three of them visit Tokyo to find an outfit for Yuta, the uncle of Azuki and Shota. They manage to buy some fabric in hopes of sewing together an outfit. Later they realize that it's not an easy task. Whereas, Uncle Yuta goes to visit the Dragon King who helps him on his journey to Tokyo. The purpose of this journey was to attend the conference. This conference tends to decide the change of education system in Japan. Yuta soon realizes that education system is not only change to occur. So, he decides to guide his family through the challenges that surround them. Amid his battle, Yuta is attracted to a lady that is by all accounts holding a mystery.

In general, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I found this book intriguing and unique. There were even pictures of Japanese work of art in the start of each part. The pictures appeared to relate to the story. Sadly, the majority of these photos were blurry. I noticed a few minor grammatical errors. I would suggest this book to the individuals who like reading adventure stories or are interested in Japanese culture.

Uncle Yuta has an Adventure
View: on Bookshelves

Like sszb's review? Post a comment saying so!
‏We’re all stories in the end. Just make it a good one.”

‏ Middleton, Jacquelyn.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Las chicas de Angel Creek
Bookshelf Size: 2397
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It seems like an excellent book for kids or young readers to get acquainted with Japanese culture. I think it's great that the author includes a summary of the other books and other resources, so they can be read as stand alones.
It's too bad that the pictures were blurry. I think art is an amazing way to get familiar with a culture, hopefully it will get fixed.
Thanks for your review!
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

Thank you for a thorough review. I appreciate the fact that a summary of the three previous books were given. This makes it easier to read. When no summary is given, I sometimes find it hard to follow and understanding the characters. Thank you again.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 974
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I truly respected how Claire blended Japanese culture, folklore, fantasy, and history together to make a fascinating, yet a fictional story.
This seems like a great combination.

Thank you for the great review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It's good that the book, despite not being the first in its series, has enabled you to appreciate it better through the additional components. It'll be helpful to children as well as storytelling parents, carers, and educators if it's understandable. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I love to read children stories and this one seem to like having shapeshifters. Looking forward to it.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I was surprised to see book four in this series as well. The book cover definitely identifies itself as being part of the series. It is good to know that book four can be read as a stand-alone. This book seems to be unique in that it reveals Japanese culture and history through a fictional story of Azuki and Shota, who can transform into birds. It sounds like they are going to try and sew an outfit for their Uncle Yuta.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The approach of introducing Japenese culture through a fictional story is interesting. The fact that the book is part of a series, yet still a stand-alone makes it even more appealing. Thanks for the informative review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”