Review by maya_powers -- Protostar by Braxton Cosby

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
maya_powers
Currently Reading: The Stand
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maya-powers.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Review by maya_powers -- Protostar by Braxton Cosby

Post by maya_powers »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Protostar" by Braxton Cosby.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby, is the story of two seventeen year olds from completely different worlds who seem to both be seeking for something more.

Prince William Derry, from Fabricius, has the weight of his planet on your shoulders. Sent on a bounty mission by his father, the King, it is now his responsibility to kill the Star-child on Earth. This mission is one that many bounty hunters don’t take lightly because contact with the Star-child is dangerous and may be deadly. William’s biggest fear is letting down his father, along with implications that the Star-child gaining control of her true powers will have on Fabricius.

Sydney, the Star-child, from Madisonburg is craving some excitement from her life. She’s been living in the same predictable small town her entire life and hasn’t been able to experience any real spontaneity. She lives with her grandmother Sarah, as far as grandmothers go, she’s pretty amazing. With senior year right around the corner Sydney feels like everyone else has something going on except her. Little does she know that she has a lot to look forward to and a whole identity to discover.

Braxton’s Protostar continues with William landing on Earth, in Madisonburg to be exact, and searching for the Star-child. Sydney on the other hand, tags a long with some friends to check out the damages in town from this really unexpected earthquake. The town Sheriff and local scientist also begin to snoop around this natural disaster and conclude that it may not have been so natural after all. Along with the changes of this new environment, William must also keep his defenses up against other factions out with their own agendas.

Throughout this novel, Braxton takes the reader on a journey via the self discovery and obstacles we see Prince William and Sydney go through. This short and fast read was very pleasant and I enjoyed the futuristic gadgets of those from the warring factions. The twists and turns of the plot also kept me on the edge of my seat.

I rate this book a 3 out of 4 because although it was a nice light read I did feel like it was missing something. In the beginning, The author includes a breakdown of the three warring factions but we don’t hear much about the third one. I wish the author would’ve provided more background and included those characters in more of the story. The page numbering was also something that oddly enough confused me, Chapter 1 is numbered page 1 when it is on page 15. Overall, the flow of the content was so smooth that I didn’t catch many typos or errors, if any.

This story would a appeal to a young demographic, such as young adults who enjoy science fiction. I would recommend this book to those who enjoy science fiction as as well as a bit of romance. If you’re interested in more romance, this may not be an exciting read.

Protostar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like maya_powers's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”