Review by Mailis -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Mailis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Mailis -- Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Mailis » 04 Dec 2018, 10:53

[Following is a volunteer review of "Chrome Mountain" by Ben Schneider.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider is partly technological thriller and partly old-school action movie screenplay written down as a book.

Trey is a scientist who manages to develop an invention that could change the world or could also just destroy it, if it is acquired by those that might misuse it for their own evil gain. Trey destroys the prototype when he realizes the dangerous path it all could take and afterward thinks he can go on with his ordinary life.
Unbeknownst to him, his invention had already caught the eye of the most successful and resourceful terrorist group of all time, the Chrome Falcons.

Sonya is the former girlfriend of a biker gang leader, who wants to escape the gangs ruthless rules and life full of murder. She is ready to disappear, taking her motorcycle on the road and going back to the place where she grew up with her grandmother. This decision might be the right one but not the easy one, because once you are a gang member, there is only one way out and that is to quit breathing, permanently.

So, when both are on the run and being hunted down, their paths accidentally cross and making the high octave action kick it up a notch more, to an almost impossible level.

When a book is described usually as action packed, it is probable that it might have a good amount of punching in it and some hopefully well thought out fight-scenes. This book on the other hand, was like a Die Hard movie script on steroids given intravenously extra dose of technological thriller juice by gallons.
There are no grey characters here, it is all very black and white, either you are a good person with morals or you are very evil one, who has no remorse whatsoever.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it presented itself as a fast-paced action book with mildly humorous dialogue and mild romance thrown in and it was 100% just that. The technological ideas were fun and innovative. Both protagonists were likable. Writing was clear, grammatically correct and storyline was surprisingly easy to follow. I think if this book is found by director with a love for clean cut action movies, then we will be seeing it on movie screens as well, in a couple of years.

The only thing that started to bother me a bit, about around the middle of the book, was all the collateral damage that was inflicted. So little warning here as well, if you dislike violence, then this book is not for you. People die so fast for the smallest reasons, mostly because they are at the wrong place, at the wrong time. Luckily the author solved this moral dilemma for me, by making Trey feel the same, so that made it easier for me to accept this in the end.

Chrome Mountain
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Mailis's review? Post a comment saying so!

EvelynBlake
Favorite Author: Neil Gaiman
Currently Reading: Agrippina: Empress, Exile, Hustler, Whore
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evelynblake.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
fav_author_id: 3586

Post by EvelynBlake » 11 Dec 2018, 16:10

I didn't enjoy the book, personally, and it was interesting to read a more positive review from a different perspective. I think, I was expecting something different when it came up with a "SciFi/Fantasy" tag.

Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat » 11 Dec 2018, 22:07

I'm not sure why some authors need to kill so many people, or why they think the average person wants to read about it? Thanks for your honest review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”