Review by holsam_87 -- Purgatory's Angel

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by holsam_87 -- Purgatory's Angel

Post by holsam_87 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Purgatory's Angel" by B Hughes-Millman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Purgatory's Angel is the first book in B. Hughes-Millman's Dark Angel series. This book falls into the genre of paranormal romance. It doesn't contain the usual romance tropes like arranged marriages or damsels in distress. Instead, we have a fiercely independent woman that is a dark angel that hunts and kills her prey when she sleeps, which is fairly unique since most of the supernatural characters tend to be male.

Jaime Connor made the choice to leave behind her archangel life and come to the mortal plane to defend others against evil. However, she has grown tired of the fighting and awaits the demon that will put an end to it all. Will her life continue on? Or will she make the decision to pursue a relationship with another, despite the dangers?

Our protagonist is my favorite character. The progression of her character development can easily be seen from start to finish. I also found her to be the most relatable, despite her supernatural abilities. Her fears and difficulties in connecting with others are very believable.

Side characters are mostly used for continuing the plot and making things move forward. The progression with her possible love interests has been written in a feasible way, that even if she didn't have powers, her worries would still make sense. This is where the sexual content really comes into play, so if that makes you uncomfortable, then skipping this would be the best option. However, if you like steamy sex scenes to go with your paranormal plotline, then this is for you.

This book contains strong language, sexual content, mentions of rape, torture, and other mature themes. It is because of this that I recommend this book to mature scholars that can handle these sensitive subjects. Rape is one of the most touchy subjects in this book, and it can really affect those that are most sensitive. I'm placing the obligatory warning here since not everyone likes mature storylines, especially if they have experienced anything like these aforementioned topics.

When reading through this book, I only came across 6 mistakes. Most of them were misspelled like burr should be brr and stars should be stares. These examples indicate that there should have been one more round of editing to completely polish this product. There weren't any glaring grammatical errors, which is good.

It is with my cogitation that I have decided to give Purgatory’s Angel a complete score of 4 out of 4 stars. I really enjoyed the complete layout and format of this book. Since a sequel was listed as being available by the publisher, I will take a look. It is called Resurrection's Angel, I hope it is just as action-packed as the first book.

Purgatory's Angel
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like holsam_87's review? Post a comment saying so!
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Purgatory's Angel is the first book in B. Hughes-Millman's Dark Angel series. This book falls into the genre of paranormal romance. It doesn't contain the usual romance tropes like arranged marriages or damsels in distress. Instead, we have a fiercely independent woman that is a dark angel that hunts and kills her prey when she sleeps, which is fairly unique since most of the supernatural characters tend to be male.

This is, certainly, refreshing. It seems like lately paranormal romances are everywhere and they all use the same cliches that I often find conflicting, especially concerning the female roles they present. I like that this book has a different approach and a strong female character.
Great review, thanks!
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

Nicely done on your review! It really made me interested in reading it, I like that it's different than your average romance novel! And in all the supernatural books/comics, an archangel is unique. Thanks!
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I like books with strong female protagonists, so this might be a good read for me. However, the explicit scenes might be a little too much. Thanks for the awesome review, Samantha!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I'm very interested in paranormal themes - some books more than others, though. I'm not sure about the rape and torture in this one, though. Depends how the subjects are handled. Thanks for your thoughtful review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

This book is not my cup of tea. I dont like this kind of genre of books still i found your review is nice . Thanks for the review.
---
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

This book is for only adults as it contains some sexual content. I have read this book and found your review is very good and neat. Thanks for the review.
---
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 975
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Paranormal romance with a strong female protagonist seems like my cup of tea. However, the explicit scenes leave me on the fence.

Thank you for the great review.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It seems like there are various sensitive themes in this book, but it's good if it indeed has such a substantial lot of positive takeaways. Thank you for your straightforward review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

I reviewed this one as well and really liked it! I agree with your assessment of the book!
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Instead, we have a fiercely independent woman that is a dark angel that hunts and kills her prey when she sleeps, which is fairly unique since most of the supernatural characters tend to be male.
I like that unlike most paranormal plots where the male is usually the strong character, this one has a female angel. Sounds like an exciting read. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”