Review by browndi3 -- Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
browndi3
Favorite Book: Annie's Song
Currently Reading: His Impetuous Debutante
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browndi3.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by browndi3 -- Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by browndi3 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mistress Suffragette" by Diana Forbes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The story opens in the summer of 1893 in Newport, Rhode Island. Penelope Stanton and her family attend a party after her recent broken engagement to Sam Haven, her fifth cousin. Penelope needed to find a husband before news of her father losses become public. Since the Panic, Penelope been teaching French classes, piano and German to make ends meet.

At the party, Penelope was introduced to Evelyn and Edgar Daggers by her ex-fiance Sam. Later while dancing with Edgar Daggers, he smoothly hints at Penelope becoming his mistress. Later, Penelope barely escaped an attempt of seducing by Edgar in a receiving room. The next day, to Penelope horror, her mother seems to encourage a relationship between Penelope and Edgar while knowing that he's a married man. A few days later Edgar wife Evelyn invites Penelope to move to New York with them to take a teaching position. By now, Penelope's parents were encouraging her to move to New York with the Daggers and to send home her pay. Her body was also telling her to go.

Turning to her best friend Lucinda for advice, they decided to move to Boston. Lucinda's dreams were to work with the Suffrage Movement by joining the New England Woman’s Club.

While attending their first meeting of the Movement, they meet Verdana Jones. She sports a short haircut, a loose white tunic worn over bloomers, and big, chunky boots instead of shoes. During her speech, Verdana and Penelope end up in a verbal argument after Verdanda attacks Penelope's clothing. Later, Verdana corners Penelope in a bathroom after a bath. She seems fascinated by Penelope's body. Before leaving, she invites Penelope to her apartment for the Movement next meeting and a chance to meet her beau. Turns out, Sam is her beau.

To Lucinda's disappointment, Verdana only invites Penelope to join the Movement. Reluctantly Penelope joins and they travel around making speeches and riding bicycles in dresses.

I strongly recommend that you read this book to find out what happens when Penelope's mother and Edgar Daggers track her down in Boston. Penelope will meet three new men who will change her life. There is also danger around the corner because of her involvement in the movement. I was greatly surprised by this book. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The actions of Penelope's parents were a little distasteful for me. I guess desperate times will make people do desperate things. I enjoyed watching Penelope stand up to her parents because of her principles.

Mistress Suffragette
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like browndi3's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”