Review by Momiji1987 -- Guilt by David Taylor Black

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Review by Momiji1987 -- Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guilt" by David Taylor Black.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guilt by David Taylor Black is a unique mix of crime fiction, humor, thrills and chills. It bills itself as a crime fiction/thriller, but the book really touches on the best elements in every genre. Dan is an author searching for escape from his current life and inspiration for his next novel. His marriage is in shambles after the death of his child. Hope Town, his destination, is a quaint little island with beautiful views and a litany of strange characters. Cat, the town librarian, is beautiful and flirtatious. She provides Dan with information for his novel and gives him someone to talk to, but, during an outing to the beach, a mysterious body washes ashore. Ed Wilson is dead and Dan suddenly finds himself the prime suspect. Will Dan solve the man’s murder in time to clear his name?

This book isn’t like any mystery novel I’ve tried before. I’ve attempted to read many over the years, but figured the genre just wasn’t for me. I never enjoyed the perverse, foul language or scenes of gore; not to mention murder, explicit scenes, and other depressing subject matter. That’s why this book was a more than pleasant surprise.

This author manages to spice up the story with a mix of emotions. Early on, the book is actually very funny. Everything is ironic. The entire scenario of Dan being a suspected murderer is so stupid (given his very wimpy personality) that it made the book that much more enjoyable and the characters are all a tad ridiculous, but in the best possible way. Two of my favorite characters were Inspector Johnson and Ronnie, an obese cop with a jealous eye for Cat. The author does a marvelous job bringing each character to life with depth and multiple strange, idiosyncrasies. It made each character so easy to visualize and remember. I had no trouble picturing any of them.

The author also brings in a hefty dose of sadness and remembering lost love. Dan is particularly well developed and I enjoyed the dreamy flashbacks that brought to life his last encounter with his son and the grief that followed. The plot twists happen frequently and not one chapter bored me or caused me to lose interest. Something was always happening or a character was always being fleshed out more, which made this book an absolute delight to read.

I gladly give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. There is only minor bad language scattered throughout and it’s few and far between. I didn’t find anything particularly offensive, although some scenes are a tad macabre. There are absolutely no explicit language or intimate scenes to speak of. It would be suitable for older teens and young adults, unlike other books in this genre. The editing is superb with only a few errors noted here and there. If you want to enjoy a good book with humor, fun, and a lot of surprises, you’ll enjoy this novel. It doesn’t really suit any particular genre in my opinion, but it’s constantly entertaining.

Guilt
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Momiji1987's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The plot made me curious too. Though I am not a big fan of crime thrillers but this one sounds intriguing. Great review!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

This book sounds like it was written with me in mind. It will definitely be on my to-read list. Thanks for your very informative review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”