Review by Kelyn -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Review by Kelyn -- The Crystilleries of Echoland

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I accepted The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid for review, I had no idea that I was about to be lured into a parallel universe of mystery, intrigue, and magic. By the end of the book, the author would lead me to experience love, loss, hope, friendship, and finally redemption with an intensity that made me feel as if I were inside the story myself.

It all begins with the disappearance of thousands of children. There is no evidence. There are no clues or witnesses. Two-year-old Will and his twin sister Emmy are among the children taken. Their case, however, is different from all the others. Will returns, the only child ever to re-appear. Though Emmy is not with him, he is not alone. The toddler rides upon a wolf (Damien). A falcon (Dea) circles above them. In the years that follow, they will become his closest friends and protectors. With Emmy still missing, Will’s parents withdraw into themselves. His father comforts himself in books while his mother becomes obsessed with finding Emmy at any cost. Will is most often left to fend for himself with Dea and Damian as his only companions. He is alone and though he does not know it yet, he is in great danger.

Just before his thirteenth birthday, Damien and Dea reveal a stunning truth which lays at his feet the destiny of two worlds, theirs and his own. Their world is a land of reflections. The beings and objects of our world are known as Sounds. All which exists in Echoland is a translucent Echo of what we know here as “real.” There is much beauty below, in this mirror of our world. It is a stunning, sparkling land of winter wonders. But the realm is tainted by evil. Darkness haunts Echoland in the form of terrifying creatures known as Fate Sealers. Though born as normal Echoes, through the method of their making they have become sadistic, soulless parodies of what they once could have been. All humanity has been brutally expunged. It is they who enforce the Law of Death. This edict directs that when a Sound dies, so too must its Echo. So, what is an Echo to do if another stands in his way to wealth or power? Well, kill the Sound, kill the Echo. The Fate Sealers allow no breach of this. Some of the worst are even willing to assist.

Will’s Echo is the Prince of Echoland. With the King missing and presumed dead, he is the heir apparent. Unfortunately, he has powerful enemies who wish him to never take the throne. Thus, Will finds himself hunted by creatures out of nightmares. Now, with the help of Dea and Damien, as well as new friends he makes along the way, Will must not only rescue his sister but also thwart evil’s plan to seize rulership of Echoland, plunging it forever into darkness.

I have always loved the concept of parallel worlds, and Dew Pellucid’s unique take on it does not disappoint. The Crystilleries of Echoland drew me in from the very first chapter. Sometimes dark and disconcerting, it is a fast-paced, convoluted coming-of-age story, fantasy heroic adventure and murder mystery. The author breathes life into a world alien to us, masterfully imparting a surreal sense of wonder and discovery. It is written with such reality that as the reader journeys through shimmering illusions, heightened emotions, and sometimes deadly encounters, they become fully immersed in the experience. Echoland blossoms into existence in the reader’s mind not as a typical mirror world, but as a fully developed world of its own to which each of us is potentially connected. Hauntingly eerie illustrations by Andy Simmons and Tal Boldo serve the dual purpose of enticing us ever further into Pellucid’s world and providing a pause for breath after the break-neck speed of each chapter.

The author is equally adept in her character development of the Echoes, Sounds and Fate Sealers who call Echoland home. Most of the Sounds who reside there are the missing children from our world. The Fate Sealers seek to kill them so that their Echoes must die as well. Will takes refuge in an orphanage built specifically to protect these children, and it is here he meets the friends who will aid him and his Echo in their quest to retake the kingdom. Each of these intrepid souls becomes a well-developed character and is provided with a full backstory. This element adds details and depth to the main storyline.

There was very little not to like about this novel. I found only two very small errors. The one thing that did bother me a bit was the author’s apparent obsession with the word “lucent.” While “glowing with or giving off light” (webster.com) is indeed an accurate description of much found in Echoland, using the word almost every other page seems a bit much. However, as it did not negatively affect the story, I wholeheartedly give The Crystilleries of Echoland 4 out of 4 stars.

There is one significant item I feel I must mention. Though the book at first seems suitable for a tween audience, the story gets quite dark at times. There is nothing horror story worthy, but it does contain a few fairly intense scenes and some of them are quite grisly in nature. The Fate Sealers kill coldly and without remorse and this is not diluted for more palatable consumption. It is precisely this grim mood, however, which creates the desperate reality of Will and the Prince’s need to succeed in their quest. I do not feel I can recommend it for the tween or even the younger teen set without parental supervision. Mid-to-older teens or adults who have a fondness for fantasy, sci-fi or mystery genres and anyone with a penchant for the world of Harry Potter would find it a fascinating and most enjoyable read. As for myself, I very much look forward to any sequels that may follow.

The Crystilleries of Echoland
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kelyn's review? Post a comment saying so!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I agree with you that the author's take on the alternate world was unique, but this book failed to impress me. Pellucid left a lot to readers' imagination, and I mean, a lot! Thanks for the review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for the fascinating and in-depth review. Seems an intriguing plot, but the dark themes make me hesitate to pick it up. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

The story sounds fascinating. The missing children part is really sad. I hope he gets his sister back. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

The book seems to have an intriguing premise.

Thank you for the great review.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

The use of "lucent" drove me NUTS!!! I think that was one of my criticisms of this book, too. Your review is fantastic!
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, it sounds like an intriguing premise having sound and echos as people.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I like parallel universe type stories, but this one seems to have a little too much fantasy for me.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I reviewed this in recent past and this is a book that I liked a lot. I agree with every point of your review. Nice work 👍👍

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=89679
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Wow! This is one of the things I love about the Club: being able to see books through completely different eyes. I read this book, and I had a hard time even getting through it because I couldn't keep the factions and their motives straight. We pulled completely different things from the same read. Thanks for your review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It is wonderful what a writer's imagination can create. I for one am intrigued by the story. It would be fascinating to have a twin in another dimension. I hope to enter this lucent new world.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

Lovely review! I'm so glad to see that you enjoyed the book where I didn't. It just goes to show that everyone is different and has their own tastes.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

My only regret about listening to the audio version of this book was that I did not get to see the illustrations. But I also felt it solved the issue of younger kids and this book. This is definitely one of those books that straddles the middle-grade to young adult line (like the first Harry Potter). But the audio book is kind of perfect for listening to as a family, and so that keeps the parental involvement that is key to helping younger readers deal with some of the darker issues in the book.
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Surely, a book with a theme of mystery will be an enjoyable one.

It will be "lovely" to see the interesting qualities of the characters, especially Will.

Thanks allot for this review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”