Review by Ann10 -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ann10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ann10.html
Latest Review: Apparent Faith by Karl Forehand

Review by Ann10 -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Ann10 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you want to appreciate how a small-town boy ultimately transforms himself into an inspirational speaker read And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White. In this book, the author looks at his life in a reflective way. He writes about how he alters his outlook after some informal counseling sessions with people who inadvertently inspire him. The words and actions of these influential people cause him to shift his mindset. He passes along this advice to those he mentors along the way. The writer encourages the readers of this book to follow his example. All can learn from meaningful encounters that can happen anywhere.

This is an introspective book composed of twenty-one chapters where the author defines his meaning of a fulfilling life. One example he gives is offering others a second chance. All the chapters are the ideal length for him to deliver his messages. Each chapter includes a creative title and Rob's hypothesis about each teachable moment. After he discusses his experience, he writes down how the "teacher" refines his theory. This is a unique approach which causes me to think, so it is an effective approach for me.

The author uses a straightforward writing style and familiar language to describe his predicaments. I do enjoy the nostalgic and humorous way that he relates his experiences. I can picture his encounters as they occur. The author selects a girl by the name of Margaret for the title of the book. Her uninhibited declaration is a concept that he has overlooked in the past. During his future encounters with others, he needs to recall her unassuming statement to carry out his goals.

The book cover is fitting because this is a story about Rob White's journey. My one suggestion is to add potholes to the picture to show how the writer has to navigate obstacles in his life. He includes the Introduction, so the readers can discover the reason why he wants to produce this compilation. The Epilogue prompts the readers to look for mentoring opportunities. These two sections are an appropriate way to start and conclude this collection. In the About the Author section, he includes his website which is a convenient resource for those who appreciate his insights. There is one error which I can overlook easily.

I give this novel 4 out of 4 stars because I think his advice is uplifting. It points out that the words or actions of ordinary people can influence others. This book is for readers who enjoy a genuine account that encourages them to impact others positively.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ann10's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”