Review by K Geisinger -- Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
K Geisinger
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Review by K Geisinger -- Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by K Geisinger »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway 2" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I previously reviewed Alex Fayman’s first book of the trilogy, Superhighway and enjoyed it so much I jumped at the opportunity to review the second installment of the series. In Superhighway 2, Alex uses his new superpower to travel the internet, but he can also download or change information in a database. After narrowly escaping from his private island when it was attacked by Russian special forces, Alex is forced to abandon his lavish lifestyle in Los Angeles. Mourning the loss of his relationship with Eva and in danger, Alex fakes his death and flees to Las Vegas. Alex starts a new life with the remaining money stolen from Sverdlovski, a Russian Oligarch, and marries a former prostitute named Yana. Unfortunately, Sverdlovski eventually tracks them down many years later. Alex is forced to discern friend from foe and works with the CIA using his powers to thwart Russian aggression.

The best parts of the book were Mr. Fayman’s political analysis of Alex using his powers as a super-hacker and how both Russia and the CIA may respond. There were multiple levels of government shown, each with their own agenda, but ultimately it did not matter after the United Nations stepped in during a negotiated agreement between nations. The multi-layered motives shown gave a depth to the events not seen in other parts of the book.

The biggest problem I had with the novel was that every female was extremely attractive and wanted to sleep with Alex immediately. Even as his physical attractiveness waned from rampant drug use or injury, no woman he encountered seemed immune to his charms. I found it distracting and off-putting that the author used sex as the only way for female characters to interact with Alex instead of using dialogue.

Another issue with the plot is that the characters no longer had depth in their motivations. Las Vegas is chosen on a whim because Eva almost took him to that city. There was no interaction with Eva talking about Las Vegas, instead it seems that the author is announcing Alex’s motivation instead of showing him evolving or coming to a decision. Instead of Alex trying to be a good person and starting charitable organizations, he forgoes any attempt at planning further than his next line of coke or sexual conquest. Even when forced to become sober after Yana’s pregnancy, Alex drifts from one situation to another without focus or plan.

I strongly recommend that readers who do not like sexually promiscuous characters or drug usage avoid the book. Alex engages in excessive sexual activity and there is more drug usage than in the first installment. Instead of only smoking marijuana, Alex becomes addicted to cocaine and languishes away as a drug addled ghost of his former self. Readers who like science fiction but do not like too much analysis on politics may be more drawn to the story.

Overall, I enjoyed the political intrigue, but the personal drama seemed out of sync with the geopolitical struggles. Additionally, the positive aspects of Alex’s personality were washed away as he became less of an engaging character. I give Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman 2 out of 4 stars. Unlike the first installment, the plot was lacking, and the characters were missing their redeeming qualities. Despite being well edited, after reading Superhighway 2, I am unlikely to read the final installment of the Trilogy.

Superhighway 2
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like K Geisinger's review? Post a comment saying so!
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." (Victor Hugo)
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I read Superhighway 1 and found it too confusing. So I am not at all interested to try the second one. Nice review though!
K Geisinger
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-geisinger.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by K Geisinger »

Nusrat_Shabnam_ wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 01:47 I read Superhighway 1 and found it too confusing. So I am not at all interested to try the second one. Nice review though!
Thank you for your comment!

I liked the convoluted plot of the first book because once you believed the superpower was possible, the characters were flawed but likable. Superhighway 2 was boring, complicated, and filled with unlikable people. I don't think I will read the third.
"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is a spark." (Victor Hugo)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”